Topic

GLoomis or StCroix

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara GLoomis or StCroix

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

I cant find a 5 piece in either of these two brands, but I have a hook up with both(60%off retail). Any advice on a backpacking rod with either of these brands? Looking for a 4-5 wt rod and would like the length broke down to fit in the BPL fly rod case of 2 x 24. If it wont fit in that, what would be your best suggestion? I fish in southern colorado and northern new mexico alpine streams.
    Thanks,
    JT

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

Here's a couple of options:

1. Buy one of the BPL fly rod cases that's 36" long and cut it down to fit the rod you have or will get. BPL has these rod cases in two diameters: 1.5" and 2.0"

2. Use the 24" BPL rod case without putting the cap on one end, so that your rod (in its sock) extends beyond the end of the rod case a few inches (and be sure to keep the open end up when secured to your pack)

3. As for your main question, don't know of a 5 piece fly rod made by either St. Croix or G. Loomis (check their websites for the answer to that question).

If those two companies don't make a 5 piece version of what you want, and if 5 piece is what you have to have, then you might check rods made by the following companies which have (or had) 5 piece fly rods. Redington made a 6 piece, too, but don't know if it still does.

Winston (the LT 5 piece)
    Cabelas (the Stowaway 5 piece)
    Redington (the Wayfarer, in both 5 and 6 pieces)

The Redington Wayfarer may not be made anymore, since I believe the company was bought by Sage (check websites). In any event, the Wayfarer rod can probably be found new or used on eBay, as well as rods by the other two outfits.

Winston is very expensive; the other manufacturers have much lower prices, but make nice fly rods nevertheless.

From my limited experience, one fly rod that breaks down to a very short length is a Redington Wayfarer in a seven foot length with 6 pieces, breaking down to 16".

JRS

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I have a 6wt StCroix Legend Ultra that's 4 pieces…each piece is 27" long. To my knowledge, 4 pieces is as small as StCroix goes.
    With 4 piece rods I don't think a tube is even necessary- they're small enough to strap on without sticking out. I leave my rod threaded, fly tied on, reel on, but broken down. I've never had a problem with untangling it or getting damaged- I just strap it to the outside of my pack.
    I've always hated trekking along, seeing a nice fishing hole and then proceeding to spend the next 20 minutes unpacking my fishing kit, assembling the rod, tying flies, etc…

Fish On.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools