Topic

good light mountaineering boots

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) good light mountaineering boots

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Rygh

@jtrygh

Anyone have recommedations for light weight mountaineering boots? I currently wear a pair of Asolo Triton boots that I like quite a bit, with the exception of their lack of durability (which many folks have commented on). I don't actually do any serious mountaineering, just non-technical peak bagging and backpacking. Nevertheless, I'm getting older and the feet (like the boots) are wearing out a bit, so I like a really stiff sole and the good support that boots like the Triton provide; most of the so-called heavy back-packing boots don't quite cut it for me. So any favorites comparable to the Tritons?

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

La Sportiva Trango S (the red ones). The go-to lightweight mountaineering boot.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

the new scarpa boots maverick gtx or rebel gtx. for non waterproof boots look at garmont vetta and garmont icon

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

also look at the salewa ms mtn trainer mid and the ms rapace. there are a lot of boots out there that will fit your discription, the real issue is finding the boot that fits your foot. if going the mail-order route, order boots in multiple sizes from various manufacturers.

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

If you're not front-pointing then the LS Trango S Evo is definitely the go, if it fits you. LS are generally narrow-ish in the forefoot.

Khader Ahmad

@337guanacos

Locale: Pirineos, Sierra de la Demanda

I'm still using a pair of LS Trango Plus (all leather) from the past century (resoled twice). If the new Trangos are half as good as mine I would recommend them. But if you really want to find your perfect match you need to drive to a place with many options and spend whatever time you need trying every model they have, several sizes per model, forget about mental preferences and let your feet decide. I spent two days in Madrid (3,5h drive from my home) and it was worth it.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools