Topic

Help Me Find a Pair of Shorts

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help Me Find a Pair of Shorts

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I love my REI Sahara shorts – khaki color, size M (32-in waist). I like its Dupont Supplex material — comfy to the touch, folds down pretty small, lightweight, quick drying and very long lasting. I also like having 2 side pockets, 2 back pockets, and 2 more pockets in the front.

But right now, I can't find any at REI, and they're rather pricey as well. So, pray tell, are there shorts that fit the above description — bonus points for lower prices??

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I've been catching some Royal Robbins Billy Goat shorts on SAC that sound a lot like that. Great shorts. You can probably find them on Departmentofgoods.com, and there is a 50% off coupon floating around somewhere.

Travis Brown

@jukebox

Locale: Austin

I doubt you have an Academy Sports Store in Cali, but they have their own brand called Magellan and they make some liqhtweight microfiber shorts. I have 3 pairs and I love them to death. They fit all of the above criteria.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_58568_-1?color=Taupe&Ntt=round+rock+shorts&Ntk=All

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

Make sure you get stretchy shorts, soo much nicer.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Columbia Silver Ridge Cargo shorts: $25 at 6pm.com. 12" inseam on the 32" waist.

http://www.6pm.com/columbia-silver-ridge-cargo-short-peatmoss

North Face Paramount are good ones to look at. Mountain Hardwear, Ex Officio, Patagonia, and Outdoor Research all come to mind. None are cheap. +1 on the Royal Robbins, but still pretty steep on pricing.

I happen to know a guy who has some medium Cutter Tech Knickerbocker "long" shorts that are new without the tags. More like stretchy soft shell for biking, but would make very nice hiking pants. PM me.

http://www.cutterbike.com/?p=165

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Check ebay. There's usually a couple pairs of REI Sahara shorts on there.

david
    Spectator

@davidvcd

I have the same requirments as the OP. Essentially, quick drying shorts with pockets and stretch.

I rotate between 3 shorts
    Columbia
    an older model, which comes from the convertible pants. lightest and fastest drying, unfortunately the most frageile and easiest to get dirty
    has a zippered hand pocket , baggier fit, cheap, gets wet more easily
    REI Venturi
    http://www.rei.com/product/808803/rei-venturi-shorts-mens
    only has one back pocket, but slanted zipped thigh pockets
    heavy at 7oz
    Arcteryx Rampart
    my favorite, almost looks like it doesn't have cargo pockets. no velcro or zipper, just overlapping fabric to close it which works surprisingly well.
    Also the tightest fit. I love being able to just slip in my hand and grab what I need without any noise or fuss.
    It is the most expensive

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I got three pairs from their running 50% off sale. 6 oz. hikers (12" inseam) and one each if the 9" and 5" runners. They are 5 and 4 oz respectively. The hikers may be sold out, all three and a few more are only $14.99 right now.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools