Topic

Emigrant Wilderness & Mosquitos

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Emigrant Wilderness & Mosquitos

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Kasey T.

@sugarsays

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Hi ~ I'm heading out to Emigrant Wilderness the week of Aug. 5th for 5 days starting out at Crabtree. I'm curious if anyone has been there recently and could give me tips on what to expect weather wise and if mosquitos are still infesting the area? I'm assuming the wet weather has dried out by now, but who knows.

Also, any suggestions on your favorite places & itinerary would be helpful!

Thanks!

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

From past experience, anything with "meadow" attached to the name = mosquitoes.
    Duane

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I was not too far away two weeks ago – Grouse Ridge / Five Lakes Basin – and found them to be just a little thicker than imwould like without a Headnet. Now that was only in the morning and at dusk, but I have since ordered a headnet for my next weekend trip to the PCT from Donner Summit south.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Long ways from 80 to the Emigrant Wilderness. We had some at Island Lake a month ago. Sounds like they are still around.
    Duane

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

For what it's worth, I went into Piute Lake from Crabtree on July 10. The mosquitoes weren't bad on the trail. At Piute Lake I camped on the ridge above and South of the Lake and they weren't too bad. Deet worked well, and I didn't need a headnet. I talked to some guys who camped in the trees by the lake and they said the mosquitoes were pretty bad. No real problems with mosquitoes coming out the Pine Valley trail back to Crabtree.

Earlier, on June 11 I went cross country into Granite Lake from Crabtree. Above Bear Lake the mosquitoes were horrendous, and I hiked with a headnet. They backed off by about 10 pm at night.

Kasey T.

@sugarsays

I plan to deet those little suckers. Thanks guys!

Kasey T.

@sugarsays

Also for the folks that backpack through this area, would you suggest carrying bear spray? I hear bears are minimal in this area and tend to leave people alone?

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Kasey,

I will be heading to Emigrant Wilderness with some friends this weekend as well. I would certainly take a headnet as well as deet. As for bear spray, I have not brought any for previous trips and, yes, others have told us that bears are pretty shy there.

Have fun

rhz

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

You can save the bear spray for griz country–California bears would like your food, thankyavermuch, but not you, yourself. Areas requiring canisters have peskier bears; there, you're more likely to actually see one.

We're past peak mosquito season, generally speaking, so you can probably avoid them by picking your campsite carefully.

Enjoy your trip–it's a great area.

Cheers,

Rick

Jay Tesik
    BPL Member

@genoa-jay

We were there on 20/21 July for a quick trip to Woods Lake and back and brought back 1 mosquito bite. They were pretty much no where to be found.

The one thing you want to be careful about is planning your water stops. The creeks between Crabtree and Woods Lake are dry (a couple of puddles here and there). Unfortunately it's not drink as you go.

We are also going on the 4th for 7 days and we're bringing the headnets and DEET.

Enjoy!

Kasey T.

@sugarsays

Thanks Rick! Hopefully the don't get my food either, because I will be hungry…and skinnayy! Hmm.. Not a bad idea now that i think about it..jk. Planning to hang my food, so i think that will be sufficient. :)

Jay- cool, I was wondering about water source. According to the Tom Harrison map, there are quite a few lakes along the way. Though I'm a bit curious about horses and their excrement near creeks, streams and lakes. One bite is not so bad, it would be a miracle if I could get away with one bite. Have fun on your trip, maybe I'll see you on the trails!

Kiel Senninger
    BPL Member

@kiel-s

Locale: San Diego

I was just up there the 27-29. I went from Kennedy Meadows to Ridge Lake. I brought DEET but never used it. I have maybe 2 mosquito bites. They were most annoying around the edge of the lake at sunset, but surprisingly I only noticed a couple flying around in the wooded/grassy areas.

chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

I was a little further east of Kennedy last weekend and no mosquitos at all.

As for bear spray. I don't really think you need it but the time you need it is when you don't have it…..

Have a great trip!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools