Topic

Light Pack for Heavy Loads

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light Pack for Heavy Loads

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • Author
    John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Very sensible advice.I'd analyze everything in terms of hassle and loss.First barrier language. Can you speak local? Second can you bargain? Worst time I ever had a blown CF card in China . Even with perfect Mandarin 8 hours to get another.Lesson. Travel with multiple back-ups. Other example -good enough. Bring the Pentax SLR? No . Heavy . Alternative. Pentax 928 with remote. Price about $8 plus shipping on ebay.28mm at the wide end, 90 at the tele.Film developing is cheap in China. One camera fails in freezing weather at Chengde. So what ? We take out the batteries and leave it on a counter in a shop. It will be recycled or repaired in China. Everything is. Analyze everything you are bringing. Clothes? Technical gear is often faked in the 3rd World. Immune system ? You aren't local so look out. Filtration, sanitation, are antibiotics non prescription? Etc. Etc. Etc.My take on Internal vs External? I have both . If it is hellish hot the right External will let your back sweat evaporate better than the internal .My Lowepro bought for a buck at a yardsale used once in Europe.Not sure I'd like the fabric super wet-long time to dry? Otherwise very solid.So flip your coin or buy both and decide. Advice ? Bring comfort food , freeze dried unobtanium.Watch out for mice. NO FLASH . No jewelry. No cellphone unless a junker.Research unlocked stuff and 3rd world bands. No computer unless a junker with a keyed security cable not a combo. I can go on and on. Other local issues -electricity , etc. The more you cover the basics the less hassle you might have. And by the end of the trip leave it all with your new friends unless you get hooked. Getting your backpack there on an airline is a whole nother issue . So post your needs. Your adventure is real . Hope we can take some rough edges down a tad.Welcome to the wanderlust.

Viewing 26 post (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools