Topic

Houdini on Sale?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Houdini on Sale?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Gish
    Spectator

@jtgish

Locale: Colorado

Where does everyone keep finding the Houdini on sale, please let me know.
    Looking for size L.

Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Locale: Minnesota Transplant
    Jaiden .

@jaiden

I finally broke down and ordered a houdini from moosejaw with code MOOSE for 10% off

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This is a bad time to find the houdini on sale since it is the beginning of spring. Most of last year's models have been sold, and demand is starting to heat up for the new model. I haven't see a size large on sale anywhere recently.

In the future you might consider looking in the fall which is typically the best time to find them on sale. Patagonia outlets typically have a labor day sale clearing out the previous spring / summer line. My memory is that the houdini is down to around $40 during these sales.

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

After buying a few compromise windshells I finally broke down and paid full price for a Houdini; and I'm glad I did. Just took it for a test drive tonight, and had none of the condendation issues I did with the previous two. The others will be sold to help finance the Houdini.

My recommendation is search froogle and rank by price every couple days, and set up an automatic email alert for "Patagonia" plus "Houdini" at ebay. You might find an L on sale. Otherwise, bite the bullet and pay the piper. (Yvon Chouinard, in this case)

As an aside, the same cost/quality calculus applies to other items. I should have bought the smartwool bases, thermawrap insulation, and Houdini/ID eVENT shells in the beginning; had I known! I spent hundreds on a rack of junk. All you newbies, 'go to school' off us!

Jaiden .

@jaiden

Good advice, and well taken. I was waffling between two good deals on montane hoodless half zips ($51 aero and $37 featherlite), nearly ordering both to meet the $100 free shipping minimum, but then decided to just bite the bullet and order the more versatile houdini. I'm sure I won't regret it.

The only gear I really skimped on is my bag, but at 2lb 5 oz, 30 degree rating and $35, I couldn't pass it up.

Lawton G
    BPL Member

@disco-1

Locale: Rocky Mountains

hi there.

i just picked up a Houdini on Sierra Trading Post for $75.60 plus shipping ($10) with no tax. They only have XL in "yellow" (which looks more like green).

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,43926_.html

I used code "53000" at checkout to get 20% off.

Before I buy anything online, I do a search like "Sierra Trading Post Coupon" in Google, and will often get discount codes or free shipping codes:
    http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/243140

Never pay full price! :)

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

FYI, last week I ordered a Houdini windshirt size L (women's) for $80 at BackCountryOutlet. For wind shirts I like a fairly athletic fit. I just received this yesterday and the shirt fit me perfectly (5' 10.5", 178 lbs). I just checked and they still have it available in size large (W). Other people here have recommended using women's sized garments factoring in the size reduction and it paid off for me in this case.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Bright Lime or Bonfire Orange? Eeeewww! :)

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Ah…C'mon, Ben. Bright Lime will bring out the color in your eyes!! I think Franco would look good in the Fiery Orange – it'll make his cheeks look rosier!

Not what I would call "low-impact", stealth colors. However, at least you won't get shot by the shoot first, identify later type of hunters we get out this way. Every year, it seems, someone's dog gets shot.

Steve .

@pappekak

Locale: Tralfamadore

> it seems, someone's dog gets shot.

Or a rancher's cow.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Good points, P J. I agree the jacket will look better on Franco…

Andrew King

@drewboy

Locale: Arizona

I guess I lucked out and got one of the last "Radar blue" colored ones they had in inventory. Not quite as neon-bright as the ones they show now. But hey – this sport ain't exactly a fashion show, and these are great shirts for the price.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Andrew:

I am jealous. I would've gotten the blue in a heartbeat; but alas, it wasn't meant to be.

Enjoy your new Houdini!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools