Topic

Enlightened quilt-NC mountains

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Enlightened quilt-NC mountains

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    a johnston

@athanasius

i'm new to light weight camping. always slept with a hand-me-down worn out down bag and wool blankets. so i don't know anything about temp ratings and such.

I will be doing most of my hiking in the Blue Ridge mountains of western NC…and maybe up the App. trail.
    mainly fall months…some winter.
    i'm looking at the Enlightened quilts…trying to decide between Revelation and Revelation X. is it humid enough around those parts that i might need the 20D nylon Revelation for the extra water-proofing? i also will be camping on islands off of south georgia where i live in the fall and winter…so maybe the extra waterproofing would be better?

are the temps on the quilts exact? or do i add 10-20 degrees?
    i think i'm looking at either the 10 degree or the 20 degree overstuffed. does that sound about right for NC mountains?
    thanks
    andrew

Mathew MacDonald
    BPL Member

@kaymat

Locale: Alaska

My 20 degree with overfill is true to it's temperature rating. I almost regret getting 20 with overfill rather than the 20 degree. So much loft!

a johnston

@athanasius

anyone have the rev. standard have any thoughts?
    seems most go with the rev x.

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I own a Revelation X winter quilt (0*) and recently ordered the 20* standard Revelation. Most order the X because its a screamin' bargain. I ordered the standard because I wanted a bit more wind protection for times I use it without any other protection other than a tarp. If you're thinking mostly fall/winter use, I'd consider the standard vs. X, unless you plan on using it with a bivy or enclosed tent.

a johnston

@athanasius

i'm leaning towards the 20* standard revelation.
    trying to decide on overstuffing.
    anyone familiar with weather conditions around asheville and higher elevations in the blue ridge mountains that could suggest a temperature rating?

a johnston

@athanasius

i'm actually going to be out a good bit in a tipi/stove in the winter. maybe i should forgo extra stuffing and just get the 20? or is it good to have that extra stuffing and i can work it out of the way when it's warmer?

Heath Pitts
    BPL Member

@heathpitts

Locale: Nashville

I went with the 30 degree Revelation wide with overstuff. I'm in that area from time to time and I think the quilt and a proper pad would keep me warm to below 30. I'd either bring an additional parka or add my synthetic quilt if it was going to be much colder. A lot of it depends on how warm you sleep and if your quilt is wide enough to keep the drafts out

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Why not get an Epiphany and don't worry about it getting wet? It's more expensive but a wet bag/quilt is more than just a bummer.

Hadn't seen Tim's up-dated website until just now. Sweet.

a johnston

@athanasius

i think the vapor barrier would be a bit much, especially for milder climates…just from what i've read.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Milder climates:

Well milder climates like the temperate rain forest of the Smokies it's more likely to rain, and milder climates it's a lot less necessary to close the bag so tightly as to make condensation a big problem, that is as long as we are speaking of low temps above freezing; temps at which it is more likely to rain….. And along with the Smokies the Ga. Sea Islands like Comberland were mentioned.

It is really amazing the number of people who die from drowning @ the Outer Banks in the fall, winter and spring on warm Bluebird days because they get completely immersed in cold water @ 50 degeees and gradually lose the struggle.

Cold water kills. It has my complete respect. I've been basically hypothermic after surfing in Hawaii in 72 degree water on the regulation 87 degree day to the point I could barely feel the soles of my feet and had to stand in a hot shower for like 15 minutes to warm up. Self inflicted of course. Kowabunga!

a johnston

@athanasius

thanks for the advice.
    i initially wanted the cuban, but it's just too cost prohibitive now.
    i'm going to give the 20* overstuff standard revelations a try. if they don't work out i figure i'll sell them and maybe try the cubens.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Well Tim's quilts sure look nice, and the cuben can be sorta krinkly. Don't think you'll go wrong with a 20 degree depending on when you go and if I had to make a one and done bag /quilt choice that seems like a good one.

Happy Trails!

Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

Good choice. Mine just arrived the other day and its really nice. Won't be able to give it a test run till mid September though.

Matt Dapkus

@mattdz

I live in SC and camp a lot in NC west. I acquired the 20 degree Revelation quilt (because of price and new to quilts) and took on a long trip to Linville Gorge in April. Nighttime lows hovering around 20, snow also. I was in a Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 UL tent, fairly well sheltered. I would go for the overfill if I did it again. One thing I noticed is the Karo stepped baffles. While a good idea I really down want to strategically "pat" my down into the right spots every night. After long strenuous days of hiking I would prefer to lay out my quilt, pat a couple times and be done with it. That being said I don't intend to purchase another quilt for a while. Tim makes excellent ones and the stitching is fantastic, confirmed by a seamstress friend of mine. The price cannot be beat, especially for newbies to the quilt world! His communication is great too. You can't lose getting one of his quilts, I highly recommend them. Plus Katabatic has raised prices a couple times since I became interested, which disinterested me ultimately. For 3 season western NC hiking I would go 20 degree plus the overfill for safety. I normally sleep warm but the design has spots in it. In regards to what material- simple. Just don't get your sleeping gear wet! The X will feel a little bit softer to the hand but really no big difference.

a johnston

@athanasius

thanks Matt. i'm really glad to hear that since i kind of spontaneously went with my gut and chose the overfill right before i ordered today. got two standards for me and my lady.

now i'm studying pads. any ideas what pads work well with these quilts? i've never used one and know nothing. i sleep on my stomach half the night so something with a comfortable surface maybe.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

NeoAir trekker has very comfy material, you will never sweat on it. Mine weighs 1.25 pounds with stuff sack but its better than any CCF and the durability is better than the thin plastic xlites.

a johnston

@athanasius

that looks pretty nice but a R 2.0. will that be enough for freezing conditions? do i just get a closed cell pad in addition for use in the winter.

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

yes, get a MLD 1/8 ccf pad for extra insulation. 3oz for full length.

a johnston

@athanasius

any seconds on the above advise?

i'll be by an REI this weekend to check things out.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

At the temps you are anticipating (20 f or so), I would recommend the neo all season, exped ul7 synthetic or exped ul7 down. All three can be seen at most REI stores.

a johnston

@athanasius

would the all season be hot in the summer?

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

In NC it could be. I find the summer issue to be more of the non- breathable nature of the pad more than the insulating value. My mattress at home is most likely R20 or more but it breathes.

If you are a side sleeper it becomes less of an issue since you minimize contact with the pad. A nice compromise would be the ul7 syn at 16oz down to freezing and then adding some 1/8 or 1/4 inch ccf for lower temps. In really hot muggy weather I prefer to just lay on the cool ground or 1/4" ccf pad.

Mitch Chesney
    Spectator

@mchesney

"that i might need the 20D nylon Revelation for the extra water-proofing?"

I have a GoLite 20F quilt but have wondered about this. Even if the encapsulating material is 100% cuben, would water vapor still be passable through the seam? And how hard would a cuben quilt be to dry? I'm wondering if it's best to get a synthetic for humid climates with a breathable shell? Skurka did in Alaska… can't imagine going that many days in down without it losing a ton of loft and gaining a ton of moisture weight.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools