Topic

She said “Yes” at 11,000 Ft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports She said “Yes” at 11,000 Ft

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

Emigrant Wilderness
    Date: July 21-22 2012
    Temps: Day 80's Night 40's
    Elevation Starting at 9628Ft(Sonora Pass) up to about 11,000Ft

We left San Francisco 6am on Sat and drove to Sonora pass. Our goal was to climb up to Leavitt Peak via the PCT trail. We Started the climb up the first ridge from the road. There are 2 routes, one was a very steep short hike the but we took a less steep more round about route.

Top of first ridge
    First ridgewild flower

We continued to follow the the PCT trail to where we were going to leave our packs so we could summit.b

A look at the lake, we were going to leave our packs before the summit and where we were going to camp for the night
    lakev

We left our packs and started our trip to the top of Leavitt Peak. It started to get really windy, but it was a beautiful day.mtn

A first look at the climb we had in front of us.peak

As we got closer we started to see our dreams of getting to the peak dwindle. It was 5:30pm and we still had 2 miles of switch backs to the top then 3 miles back to camp. We were only averaging 1 mile/hour. I think we underestimated the effect the altitude would have on us and it really slowed us down. We started at pretty much zero elevation in San Francisco that morning. We were really going slow.

We had to make the tough call and decided to summit a closer and slightly less high peak.

Susan making up our peak with Leavitt Peak in background.
    d

Though it was not the place we wanted to go we made it pretty high and the views were great!top

At the top of the peak she said "YES"!!! We got engaged!! My grandmother's ring, thanks to my mom!
    yaa
    a

Here is the location where we got engaged on my SPOT
    http://www.findmespot.com/mylocation/?id=8kKue/38.26141N/119.61284W

Our hike back to camp went by fast and spirits were great.
    d

We finally got back to camp and were so tired. We didn't hike far but did some climbing. We ate some dinner, drank a whiskey and coco, and were in bed before dark.
    dd

On the hike out we ran in to a couple who were doing the whole PCT starting in Mexico. They had been on the trail for 2 month. They said they were a little behind schedule.
    d

On they way out we took the shorter, but very steep trail out the trail. It really was very steep, so we had to take it slow.e

Though we didn't get to the Peak as we wanted, we did get to a peak and she did say "Yes" so all ended perfect. We already have plans to try the summit again, but will give us a little more time to acclimate.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Would you have still proposed if she hadn't of made it to the summit?

. .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Big CONGRATULATIONS, Chris & Susan!

Thanks for sharing the uplifting trip report.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

One of the things the officiant at our wedding said during our marriage ceremony (and it is easy to recall because it's on a square of a wedding quilt in our hallway):

"Shortly after Kristin & David got engaged in December, they went to Baja Cailfornia. When they got back I asked Kristin how the trip had been. "Oh, it was fantastic," she said, "David asked me to marry him in a taxi, on a kayak, in a tent, under the stars. . ." This answer stopped me dead in my tracks. It had never occurred to me that you could ask asomeone to marry you more than once if they said yes the first time. I had always assumed that a marriage proposal was a one-time deal once someone said yes, you need never ask again.

But the more I thought about it, the more moved I was by hearing about David's multiple proposals. I started to see the wisdom behind them. David's asking Kristin to marry him over and over helped me to better understand the miracle of love in a relationship is that it can begin again and again.

In love, beginning anew is something we do not only once but something we do often . . .it is my sincere hope that in forty five years, Kristin and David will still be proposing to each other and will continue to say yes and continue to choose each other again and again."

There are a lot more summits to climb, both literal and figurative. You could keep asking.

Editted for spelling

chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

Jerry

I don't think so, I just couldn't marry someone who could not make the summit. Just a joke

Of course I would, but I knew she could it. It was a tough hike that day but worth it!!

David

I have to agree. We climbed one mountain and I'm sure there will be many more…..

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Congrats to you both, and nice report :)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools