Topic

Hemming with Silnet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hemming with Silnet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Nick E.

@traletrasch

Locale: PNW

Hello everybody
    i am in a slight pickle and seeking some advice.
    I have a MYOG ponchotarp i wish to make longer, to accomodate for gear storage. it is currently 4 1/2 ft by 7 1/2 ft. i want to make it 2ft longer, i have some silnylon 2nds from thru-hiker i'll use. i am about to stitch it up, and am wondering-since i dont have a sewing machine and cant get my hands on one before i leave on the trip i'm supposed to need this shelter for-if i can hem the silny with McNett's SilNet?
    any and all answers very much appreciated.
    oh, and if its not the best 'perma-fix', this trip is for 4 days only…so if it can stand up to that i'll be fine ;)

Anthony Britner

@ant89

Locale: North Wales, UK

IT will work, maybe worth adding in some stitches by hand just for that extra security.

edit. sew at the ridgeline and edges as these areas will be under the most stress.

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

The Mcnett may work, but GE silicone glue would be better. It has to be glue – not sealer or caulk. Got some at true value hardware for $7 a tube. You only need to overlap 1 inch and dont fold. It is quick and easy.

Good luck,

Dave

Nick E.

@traletrasch

Locale: PNW

So, i should fold over the edges as if i were going to hem? could i just brush the GE silicone glue on with an applicator?

also, in your experience, do you think something like that would work for attatching the extra2ft of material onto the poncho tarp?

i am also experiencing some sligh wetting out of the poncho, wondering what a preferred water treatment is to revitilize SilNy…
    thanks yall great advice

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

dilute silicone caulk maybe 10:1 with mineral spirits and coat the entire poncho

probably silnet would work just as good as caulk. maybe the dilution ratio would be different. try it on scrap material, let it dry for a couple days, see how hard it is to rip apart.

there was an article about using this to for guyline tie-outs – that's probably more pressure than what you're doing

David Goodyear
    BPL Member

@dmgoody

Locale: mid-west

no need to fold it just overlap it by 1 inch. The glue will keep the edge from fraying.

I used Jim's arcticle to make a tarp and it is still holding together.

link: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/myog-laminating-silicone-impregnated-fabrics.html

you may need to be a member to view it

Good luck,

Dave

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Cheaper yet and doesn't have to be dilluted: Permatex Flowable Silicone Windshield Sealant from any auto parts store. It works as glue and as a good, penetrating seam sealant. You can glue-up small items such as stuff sacks. For the poncho use a 1 inch glued overlap. I spread and remove excess sealant with a Bondo squeegee.

I discourage diluting silocone sealants; mineral oil is little more compatible with silicone than is water. What you get is a slurry, not a solution. The results will be uneven and weak.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools