Topic

MLD Duomid Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD Duomid Recommendations

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Phillip Damiano

@phillipsart

Locale: Australia

Anyone?

Mal Hooper
    BPL Member

@malligator

Locale: Valley of the Sun

I think it's Dyneema, but I'm not 100% sure.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

You could call or email Ron and ask him….

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I have a cuben duomid and I set it up with 2 poles and pole extenders,
    since the poles are at the sides it gives it more strength in strong winds.

You can also have a company like bearpaw sew on a bug net door.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Dan, Are you clipping the four corners of the inner net to the Duomid at the stakes? Or are you clipping it to or near the webbing that holds the Lineloc?"

I'm using clip/hooks to attach the inner to the webbing loops at the corners. By doing this, I can leave the the inner clipped into the mid for faster setup. My inner has LineLoc3's at the corners, so I can adjust the setup depending on the mid pitch, but it doesn't vary much. Some fixed length shockcord + clips would likely work well too.

Philip Marshall
    BPL Member

@philthy

It seems that most people here use the duomid for solo camping. Has anyone used it to accommodate 2? I'm looking for a minimalist shelter for my wife and I, cosiness is not really an issue, but the recommendation on the MLD website to sleep head to tail has me worried that it may be a bit TOO snug.

Anthony Weston
    BPL Member

@anthonyweston

Locale: Southern CA

I used two poles in the duomid with 16 inch pole extenders from ruta locua 1 oz each. I think it makes the duomid stronger in the wind because the poles don't allow gust to punch the sides and it gives you full floor space. But even with a single pole it's good for two.
    The only draw back is rain may get in coming in and out in a down pour on the front side so you move both bags safely to the back when getting in and out in the rain.
    I also had a net door sewn on because I don't like inner nets which sag.
    Sorry I don't have a better photo but the blue bivy laid on the floor is in middle and two could easily fit in the tent.

xx

Maciej Parvi

@maciekp

I'm 6'2" , my wife is a bit smaller. I have Cuben Duomid+cuben 2 persons inner from Bearpaw.
    It was rather tight but no problem leaving inside together with backpacks between duomid and inner.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I just replaced my Solomid with a Duomid to get more room and am looking for your thoughts on using a single Locus Gear pole (135cm) with a 6″ aluminum pole jack or try using both Locus Gear poles in an inverted V using either 2 pole jacks or a DPTE.  The single pole will obviously be simpler, but the inverted V would give more interior room.  Which would be stronger in heavy winds?  I would think the inverted V, but my poles would be set to their limit and have longer pole jacks (12″?) and the angle could make that not the case.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Brad, I strongly prefer the inverted V and the unobstructed interior space. I use my heavier Komperdell carbon fiber poles and CF pole jacks, which have worked fine in somewhat nasty weather, though nothing of mega-monster proportions… heavy wind (about 35mph) a couple of times and once in a light ice storm that deposited about 1/16″ of crust overnight… that doesn’t sound like much, but that many square feet of ice is surprisingly heavy.

The Locus Gear poles might be a bit too fragile for that application because you’re introducing side loads. And in the single-pole configuration you also have to worry about bumping into it, also creating a side load. I’m pretty sure that my 4.3 oz myog poles wouldn’t be up to the task, which is why I switch to the Komperdells, which weigh about 8 oz each.

Duomid after ice frosting:

Sean B
    BPL Member

@studlintsean

I also have a MLD Duomid (silnylon) and played around with the inverted V setup. I used a method posted by 10-K either here or Whiteblaze where he used a piece of PVC and melted it a bit and then bent in the desired shape. After testing it out a few times, I found it to be more of a pain than the space was worth for one (plus occasional 75lb dog).  I now use my BD poles (set to about 135) and the pole jack that came from MLD. One of the things I like best about the Duomid is the ease of setup and I felt I was losing a bit of that with the inverted V setup (probably not much to bother others but definitely an extra minute or two for me which wasn’t worth it in the rain). I recently used the tent in the WRR and had it setup on the west side of Knapsack Col where we experienced some wind and had no issues with the structure with the pole offset to the side a bit. I think it’s boils down to preference but you might try a DIY version first before shelling out money on the Locus Gear setup that many do prefer.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I was thinking of just trying two pole jacks instead of the DPTE. I used my poles in an inverted V on the Solomid but they were long enough to not need jacks on it.

I have the pole jack that came from MLD (6″ aluminum) and it fits pretty snug on my poles. I also have a CF one from Zpacks that doesn’t fit as snug and thus worry about that stress point more. I assume I could just order two aluminum ones from BPWD in a longer length to try.

Trips like yours in WRR is exactly what I plan on using it for with a solo innernet from either MLD or SMD -I haven’t bought one yet – when needed and just a groundsheet otherwise.

I am terrible at judging wind speed but I imagine 35mph is as high as I would see although last year in Alaska we saw winds high enough to deflect an aluminum pole about a foot to the side on a Golite SL5. I am not sure if it would have broken or not if I hadn’t cought it, but that pole is beefy.

Doug G
    BPL Member

@dekartes

I just bought a sil Duomid.  I tested the single pole and  Locus Gear DPTE.  I used it in the field last weekend.  With my poles set at 140cm the interior space using the DPTE was great!  I can set it up at 235 and see what that does to the angle.    Liked it a lot.  Really easy to set up.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

One of the things I like best about the Duomid is the ease of setup and I felt I was losing a bit of that with the inverted V setup (probably not much to bother others but definitely an extra minute or two for me which wasn’t worth it in the rain).

In this situation, the pitching sequence for me is to put my pack (and my dog, lol) under the Duomid while I stake the corners, unzip the door (leaving the bottom buckle clipped) and step inside. I then zip up (down, actually) the door and put up one pole temporarily in the offset pole position. Now completely out of the weather I can finish setting up the pole for the far wall and then move the temporarily offset pole the side with the door zip and clip in my Tyvek bathtub floor. When, or if, the weather lets up a bit I will then put in another stake for one of the door panels.

The Duomid is primarily my winter tent and I use the Duplex most of the year because of bugs, ventilation, etc. The inner net with the Duomid wouldn’t work for me because of my pooch. However I think that if I were solo my shelter choices would be different and maybe a cuben Duomid and inner would work for me year ’round.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools