Topic

ZPacks Sleeping Bag – a Side Sleeper’s Dream Bag!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) ZPacks Sleeping Bag – a Side Sleeper’s Dream Bag!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Patrick,

The zip is referred to "the bottom" because that is how the bag was designed to be used: The zipper under the sleeper. You can still sleep on your side w/ the zip under you…but the bag is snug enough that it turned with me! More below.

Re size: I'm 6' so figured I'd have room to spare in the 6' 2" version. By the time I got the bag snugged up around my neck, my feet (9.5-10) were tucked more snugly into the foot area than I preferred. If I were to do it again, I'd personally go for the 6' 6" model.

Re the 56" circumference: I'm only 150 lbs and felt the bag was plenty snug for my liking. I fit in there with my WM Flash down jkt but……

Bag fit is kinda like shoes: Everyone has their own preferences. Make no mistake about it though. These bags are not big! For those who aren't overly claustrophobic, they should be very efficient (warm) though.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Wow 150lbs at 6 feet and you found it a little short and snug? I'm 170 at the best of times, usually 180. I'm starting to see why these are so light. I may go wide and xtra long. Any one else have any advice?

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

The circumference I was fine with…even though the bags I was used to were 60". The length was ok but for my personal preference, I would have liked longer. I think the length would have been fine too if it would have had a footbox. Yes, they are light due largely to the smaller cuts.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Can you get an extra oz. of down added?
    I was a little put off last night after reading about the short length, but figure I sleep mostly on my sides curled up a little, so the length should be fine with the slightly over 6' version. I really like the light weight. I've been looking at JRB, Nunatak, Katabatic, EE. Yearly bonus has not come in yet, so no rush, but would like to maybe pull the trigger to get something before summer bp season starts.
    Duane

PS My WM Caribou weights 24oz. so this is more reasonable to get as it may save me half a pound versus other quilts only saving me 3-4 oz.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Duane,

Hope I didn't put you off. As I mentioned previously, a lot of this fit stuff is personal preference. What doesn't feel good to one might feel great to another. While I don't like advocating the return of products, keep in mind that the option is there for you if you order and it doesn't work.

Re the extra oz of down, I don't know….you'd have to email Zpacks. Joe states somewhere that they're not doing in between temps anymore. Maybe an oz doesn't fall into that category? I'm also not sure of the benefit in this case as the bag seems more "stuffed" than any bag I have experienced. You may not get any returns…but I don't know for sure. Maybe a down fill expert who's familiar with these particular bags can chime in.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Rusty,
    Thank you for the feedback. I don't know about you, but there are times where you do some research and finally settle on something and one little thing throws it all to the wind. After thinking about the situation last night, figured no big deal on length, but with me getting older, I may need a little more warmth, but hate to pay the penalty for the next temp rating. May have to bite the bullet and go with a warmer temp rating, but leave somethng at home like my liner and just wash the bag/quilt more ofter than every couple years or longer.:) That would offset any weight gain for a warmer bag/quilt. The liner is nice on trips where the temps are too warm to fully crawl in my bag, but the liner keeps me warm for an hour until I crawl in my bag and am ready to try to go to sleep. Here I go thinking too much, I need a shot of fumes from one of my old stoves now to settle me down.
    Duane

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

"I don't know about you, but there are times where you do some research and finally settle on something and one little thing throws it all to the wind."

Haha…yes, I know about this all too well:-).

Re the warmth, being that these bags are cut slimmer than most, they are likely going to be more efficient than an otherwise equivalent bag of more generous proportions. May be something to consider.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Can't say there is a lack of very pertinent info on these two threads.
    (As I'm seen screaming, running out into the snow and cold, shouting "too much information, cannot decide"), while pulling my hair and beard out.:)
    Duane

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I have only used my 30 degree ZPacks quilt for 3 mild nights so far. However, I have been using quilts for many years now. I am 6 foot tall, 154lbs, (side and stomach sleeper)and went for the extra long and find it just right, so I definitely agree with sizing up length wise. Unless you are happy to have it come up to your neck only and then only if you sleep in straight log like position.

The cut of my quilt is really excellent. Wide enough to keep out draughts, but not so roomy that you loose thermal efficiency. If I was going for a zippered sleeping bag version then I would have gone for the wide.

Good review here http://tramplite.com/2012/11/z-packs-20-deg-down-sleeping-bagquilt.html. Including a comment from Joe at Zpacks.

Sara C
    BPL Member

@saracr

Locale: SE Missouri and NW Arkansas

I'm 5'2" and ordered the short bag, but my feet were jammed into the end when I cinched the bag around my neck. I don't plan to use it over my head at all, but I had to get the regular length. Maybe it's just me and my sleeping position, but the length seemed way off even when used as intended.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools