Topic

Physical Training

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I've always wanted to get a rower. I understand it's very important to use proper form. David, does it (proper form) make that much difference?

David Ure

@familyguy

@Doug – very much so. But it doesn't take long to get an understanding of form. Maybe two 20 minute sessions. The push comes from the quads and just as your legs become extended, your upper body pulls. The sequence is then reversed – upper body, then lower body. The great thing about the movement is that your body forces you to do reasonably well right off the bat because if you don't, you will hit your knees with the 'oar.' Once you get the stroke correct, it becomes 'auto pilot' and you can then focus on watts and metres per second to attain some distance goals.

I have a Concept 2 rower. Some great videos on technique on their website.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"good preparation for steep ascents and descents is something I have yet to accomplish."

Work out on sets of stairs, many sets with a pack for endurance, not so many without a pack at a fast pace for interval training. Both ways will build leg strength. Best of all would be if you could find a hill, the longer and steeper(up to a point), the better. It will accomplish the same goals as stairs, only better, and also work the small muscles involved in stabilization/proprioception. Working out on a Step Mill(NOT a Stairmaster) is also a good way to train, although not as your main venue except as a last resort.

Andrew McAlister
    Spectator

@mcalista

Tom makes a great point. Steps are awesome cardio, but they aren't perfect training for a long hike. Because the step surface itself is horizontal, the forces on your body are different from the slopes you will encounter on the trail. Having your foot at an angle makes a big difference – especially descending, where having the foot at an angle places a lot more force on the thighs.

But even if you live in a flat area, you can probably find a steep embankment somewhere near where you live – climbing up and down that for 10 minutes once a week can help your overall preparation for hiking.

Muscles have a memory, and get more efficient at any activity you do regularly. More precisely, your brain and nervous system get better at controlling the muscles, and working out the minimum number of nerve fibers required to fire to achieve any particular task, thus reducing energy requirements.

So while rowing or cycling or running are awesome for building up your overall cardio vascular fitness, you should still be walking with a pack at least twice a week (including hopefully getting out and hitting some local trails at least for a few hours on a weekend).

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

My complaint about Stairmasters is that you don't get a good workout because you're not doing much work. Most of my body stays at the same elevation despite cranking it up to 4.5 mph and 15 degree slope. So I climb actual, real stairs. Even in Flatland, there are two-story buildings. I get a huge benefit from just 10 minutes a day of going up and down a one-story staircase at home each morning. Then I shower and start my day.

That and miles – actual, real walking. I motivate myself myself at times while just running errands. I walk instead of driving to town. I take 2 hours, but I saved 20 minutes of driving so it feels like I'm multi-tasking.

The older you are, the slower you should ease into it. But I haven't found any limit to what an older hiker can do (I do more now than when 20), but I do have to start conditioning much earlier.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

this is like the circa 90's machine we have at our gym- it will give you a very (very) good cardio workout and also tax your leg muscles

I've always called it a stairmaster, maybe the official name is something else???

Photobucket

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

despite cranking it up to 4.5 mph and 15 degree slope.

Isn't that a treadmill?

I just walk the dogs up and down the hill at the local park, with a pack at times. Work is physical, no cubicle monkey.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

edit

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I've always called it a stairmaster, maybe the official name is something else???"

That is the beast I was referring to, Mike. It is officially called the Step Mill. If you can't get outside, for whatever reason, or find a decent hill/mountain to train on, this contraption will give you your money's worth, guaranteed.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

ahh- OK, it's definitely a beast, like I said ours pretty much gathers dust as no one seems to want that much pain, at the upper settings you are full on running-UP!, the stairway to he11 :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"My complaint about Stairmasters is that you don't get a good workout because you're not doing much work."

David,

Just for the sake of comparison: If you can locate a Step Mill, as pictured in Mike's post, you should try it out. Maybe dial up the intensity up to Level 8 or 9 to get a feel for what the machine can do for you. If that doesn't get your juices flowing, the turnover rate goes all the way up to Level 14, but I'd be very surprised if you get that far. Then go back and try it with a 25-30# pack at, say, Level 5-6. For 30 minutes. This is not to say the Step Mill is the preferred way to train for hiking, but when more realistic scenarios are not practical, it will definitely keep you in the game. I doubt anybody who has ever used one would disagree, but I could be wrong about this.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Uphill is easy, but downhill has always put stress on my thighs, knees and ankles. I was able to solve this by running up and down steps at the football stadium downtown which they leave unlocked for hard core chumps who run conditioning on the steps.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I loved those Step Mill's. I haven't seen one in quite a while. I remember preferring to slow things down so that gravity would give me a workout.

It still isn't the type of training I'd go for, at least not for PCT hiking. I think the PCT is too level to need that kind of training.

This topic makes me miss the Aztec Bowl stadium that used to exist at SDSU. That was a GREAT place to do stadium runs. I suppose it's still there, but working out there is not nearly the same.
    http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2011/oct/01/aztec-bowls-glory-resurfacing/

David Ure

@familyguy

"Uphill is easy, but downhill has always put stress on my thighs, knees and ankles. I was able to solve this by running up and down steps at the football stadium downtown which they leave unlocked for hard core chumps who run conditioning on the steps."

That's actually a hamstring issue. Your hamstrings are tight and or unbalanced with respect to the strength of your quads. I.e, your hamstrings need to get stronger.

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Huh.
    I'll look into that in the morning.
    Thank-you!

Christian Denniston
    BPL Member

@davidulhike

So now that i have a great list of training exercises the next step for me is putting together a repeating weekly routine. I find that having a schedule helps keep me commited. So what do all of your workout routines look like? I would like to see what all of you are doing on a regular basis to stay in shape.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

mine generally goes like so:

Monday and Fridays I strength train- mostly body weight exercises (pushups/pullups/situps/dips/etc), but some weight work as well- squats, bench, thrusters (these are a great lift!)

Tues/Wed are my easy runs- usually 5-7-ish trail miles, Sat I usually get my long run in- currently 15-20 miles, Sun I get another easy trail run- 5-7-ish miles

Thur is a 0 day :)

I'm flexible w/ my schedule, things can get swapped around or even skipped sometimes (but not too much)

Andrew McAlister
    Spectator

@mcalista

There are many, many ways you could design a good training program, but here are a few key principles:

* As a starting point for your program, aim at a day hike/long walk with a pack on most weekends.
    * Strength train 2-3 times during the week, leaving 48 hours between ST sessions. You don't need to belong to a fancy gym, you can get in a great workout just using your own bodyweight as resistance.
    * Do something with a pack mid-week, whether it is a stairmaster at the gym, steps at your local high-school stadium, walking for an hour, etc
    * Do something more intense that really gets your heart rate up for 20-30 minutes at least 1 day per week
    * include a rest day somewhere in the week.
    * throw in a few weekend hikes along the way, not only will this help you to test and tweak your gear, experiment with nutrition, etc but getting up and hitting the trail again after having done 20 miles the previous day is also part of training for a thru-hike

If you want to get into running, a Couch to 5K plan is the way to go if you are not a current runner.

Kirk O’Brien

@obrien-kirkgmail-com

CrossFit will prepare you for just about anything. It's heavy on; squats, lunges, box jumps, jump roping, running plus all the upper body strength you need; pull-ups, push-ups, Olympic lifts, etc. The intensity is great and the verity keeps it interesting.

The only thing I'd add to a 3x/week CrossFit plan would be some trail running to toughen up your feet for high mileage.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools