Topic

JMT campsite that sticks in the mind: what was it for you?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning JMT campsite that sticks in the mind: what was it for you?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sam Sockwell
    BPL Member

@sockwellsam

As an example :I just loved Cullite on the WCT, one of my favorite campsites ever. Anyone with don't miss suggestions for the JMT?

Thanks, Sam.

Elizabeth Tracy
    BPL Member

@mariposa

Locale: Outside

How many miles per day are you doing? The less ambitious your mileage, the easier it will be to target a specific campsite. And/or: be willing to hike 6 miles one day, and 14 miles the next.

I tended to like the high-altitude lakes. Assuming a good weather forecast, next time I might attempt to time my camps for: Lyell Glacier (a little off-trail just before Donahue Pass); one of the gorgeous lakes atop Silver Pass; Selden Pass (ideally Marie Lakes); Evolution Basin (any lake between Evolution and Wanda Lakes); tarns in Upper Basin (south side of Mather Pass, right as it flattens out after the steep descent); anywhere in Rae Lakes Basin (Dollar Lake or above); the tarns above Guitar Lake (for an early Whitney start).

Of those, an Evolution Basin campsite would be my top "Can't Miss."

For some reason I have not had good luck locating a campsite that really impressed me anywhere between Forester Pass and Guitar Lake, at least not strictly along the JMT. Maybe someone here can fill you in. Wallace Lake (a couple of miles on a use trail to the east of the JMT) is a stunning location, and I might try that next time.

Great camping with good water access can be had for just about the entire length of the trail. So an argument can be made to not overthink it, and just camp wherever you find yourself at end of day.

– Elizabeth

Eric Moll
    BPL Member

@edmoll13

I camped a 100 ft or so above forester pass to the right of the sign when looking southbound. There was a nice open area that fit my three man tent! great view for sunrise!

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

There are many nice camps north of Forester once you hit the treeline. Great views down Bubbs Creek and water a plenty. The camps are on the left side of the trail. You cannot miss them as they are right next to the trail.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

As tough as it may be to pick a favorite I would have to say evolution Lake. It is the only place in the Sierra that I have stayed more than once. But one I haven't stayed at that would certainly be on a JMT agenda is just off trail at Darwin Bench just west of evolution lake.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools