Topic

best shirt for wicking and odor control in hot weather

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) best shirt for wicking and odor control in hot weather

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'm looking for a new, short sleeve backpacking shirt that will perform well in summer at temperatures between 75-90 degrees. I think my long sleeve icebreaker tech t caused me to sweat buckets last time I was out in the hot sun. I'd like to avoid something with an athletic cut. I'd also prefer something that doesn't smell even after a couple of days, and dries out reasonably quickly. I looked at the patagonia silk weight merino/poly blend–too form fitting.

thanks!

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

The arcteryx motus ss wicks very well, is much lighter than wool (around 3 oz if I remember right), keeps you cool and handles odors very well. It's also not too form fitting.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I am not sure the motivation of your desire to have something not form fitting. A base layer that isn't form fitting will not perform it's function of wicking and dispersing moisture to the outside as effectively if the base layer is not in contact with your skin.

Andrew Zajac

@azajac

Locale: South West

I love my capilene 2 for hot weather. More so than capilene 1 which while thinner, has a tighter weave. Additionally it's 54% recycled materials.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi Randy,

I guess I always had the impression that something that wasn't skin tight would promote greater air flow and reduce the amount of sweat in the first place. That assumption is not based on hard facts though. Also, my vain side would appreciate something that didn't completely emphasize my gut/love handles :)

Thanks,

rhz

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

cap 2's opener weave does a pretty good job in the heat, it's not as form fitting as the Cap 1 either- also available in a zip giving you more venting options

the new Capilene (last decade or so) is much better w/ odor control than previous gens, not as good as merino, but pretty good :)

I know a lot of folks like the thin, full button shirts from RailRiders, Ex-Officio, etc for hot weather

Nathan Stuart

@forest-2

Locale: Hunter Valley - Australia

Get a Rab Meco 120.

Best hot weather, non stinkin shirt I've worn in the heat. (I'm an Aussie and we get the odd warmish day here…….)

R K
    Spectator

@oiboyroi

Locale: South West US

Perhaps a button down? A poly-cotton blend would do well.

Steve K
    BPL Member

@skomae

Locale: northeastern US

Well, the best shirt I've ever worn for wicking is made of Polartec Power Dry. The REI Polartec Power Dry shirt is relatively inexpensive, comes in white (for best performance in sun), and wicks better than anything else I've used. It also dries fast, but the downside is it does start to smell terrible after a few days. Oh well, can't have everything.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Base_Layer/Phase-SL-Crew-SS#

Weight:
    94 g / 3.3 oz
    Fit:
    Next-to-skin

"The Men's Phase SL SS Crew by Arcteryx. This super-light base layer is engineered for optimal moisture management during stop-and-go activities. During active phases, moisture is wicked across the entire garment, aiding temperature regulation. Entering a rest phase the broadly dispersed moisture evaporates quickly, speeding dry-time to keep the user drier and more comfortable. Encapsulated silver-ions provide durable and long-lasting odour control."

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

I hike in Helly Hanson Under Armour (several styles avail) and it is a wicked wicker.

I used to have a lot of extra around the waist which I would hide with loose clothes, but I started wearing fitted shirts so it was always there, telling me to eat less and hike more. Effective motivator. I found it easy to weather the distastful glances knowing I was working hard to reduce my girth.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

if it's hot, that usually means the sun is out in full force-I prefer a long sleeve in those conditions and I'm even pretty dark complected :)

ignore the avatar- I'm running, not hiking :D

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

I'll second the Arcteryx Motus for hot weather. It's the same fabric as the Phase SL but a little looser cut. It's still fairly trim but not tight fitting like the Phase SL, so it's a bit cooler in hot weather. Much more breathable than something like Cap 1 and surprisingly odor resistant for a synthetic.

jacob sullivan

@jakenz

Locale: The Windy City (NZ)

+1 for the RAB MeCo. Short for 65% Merino 35% Cocona. Cocona being a brand name for polyester encapsulated activated carbon, as in what is used in gas masks, the idea being that a micro-porous substance capable of adsorbing noxious gas molecules is probably also not bad at wicking away water and trapping odor molecules to boot.

In use: quite exceptional wicking/evaporation and the 120 is noticeably thinner and cooler than 150 weight merino, but with more insulation value than a 100% synthetic should the mercury plummet unexpectedly(as it invariably does here in NZ).

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Give me nylon. It's a bit hotter, but much less stinky than polyester. Polyester is sooo bad. Bad enough that when I used it, I carried a spare non-stinky shirt to wear around non-hikers. I had wondered about this until Skurka confirmed it in his book.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I like the mesh-ier polyester stuff like Cap2. If you like a looser fit, size up or check out lines like Nike, Rebok, etc. I have some Russell shirts that I like as much as any of the high priced hiking spreads. There is a school of thought that a contact fit aids moisture transfer and evaporation. I don't like feeling like a human sausage myself.

I have a North Face polyester base layer shirt that stinks to high heaven after a few hours. I was surprised at the difference.

The trick is getting a recommendation for a *current* version. I swear the manufacturers change the fabric every quarter.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Since you want a short sleeve shirt similar to a base layer top, go to any specialty running store or even Sports Authority type place and look at their tops. I know you said you didn't want an Athletic cut, but you can buy a size larger or get a standard T-shirt cut. Many brands from Columbia, Champion, Nike, Asics, Under Armor, etc have lightweight shirts in coolmax, drifit, etc material that wick well and have both SPF and anti-microbial protection in the fabric.

If you're willing to try a long sleeve shirt, I like the Columbia PFG hiking shirt, which has the SPF and anti-microbial fabric. It's not a base layer, but it wicks well, dries quick and keeps me cool in the sun and warm in wind or lower temps. It also doesn't smell bad with prolonged use between washes. Infact it dries so quick that you could just rinse it in a stream and put it back on and it will dry within minutes. You can roll up the sleeves and secure them with the little button tabs. There are a few different styles, I prefer the snap front because it is also lighter weight than the button down style and it has better ventilation. I have found Columbia products in the US market to be lacking in quality and functionality, but this is their one product I really like and haven't found anything better, especially for the price. Retail is usually around $45.00.

Similar shirts can be found from RailRiders and REI, but may cost a lot more.

Adam Klags
    BPL Member

@klags

Locale: Northeast USA

as posted above:

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Base_Layer/Phase-SL-Crew-SS#

I use the long sleeve version of this on EVERY HIKE I have been on in the last two years. Yes literally every one that isn't in the winter. Spring, summer, fall, all of them. Its the best shirt I've ever owned. It isn't as good on odor as the merino wool shirts, but it is more comfortable and I find it dries faster.

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

To be honest I am using the 50ish/50ish cotton/poly very thin dress shirt stuff this summer. Shirts don't stink that much and given a few hours airing out are pretty good. I usually end up stinking more than they do. Decent on the sun and bugs also. $15 at JCP.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools