Topic

Packit Gourmet serving sizes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Packit Gourmet serving sizes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Wondering if I buy 2 serving meal, is it possible to split serving x2 and use it for 2 nights. Also how do they compare to mountainhouse in terms of sodium and quality.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I think it depends on how much you did that day. For me after a big day I need 2 servings. In addition, with Packit Gourmet, like Mountain House, you are using the container the meal came in and so it isn't really easy to split into 2 unless you have an additional container you can reconstitute the second serving in the next day.

As far as sodium/quality, I think Packit is better quality ingredients but that is completely subjective. I enjoy both brands and they are the only two brands I use.

David K

@aviddk

Locale: SW Oregon

With Packit Gourmet a two person meal serves both my wife and I. When we eat Mountain House we each eat a two person meal. PG two person deserts are also sufficient for two. Our two favorite Packit Gourmet meals, at least currently, All American Burger wrap with fixin's and the breakfast shakes. We have three or four other PG dinners around that we need to test out but we keep wanting to eat more of the All American Burger wrap. You even are given a sheet of waxed paper in the package of AABW to serve your meal on. A very nice touch for a super easy, fast and tasty meal.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

How about splitting transferring the contents into two separate ziplocs. Do they need mandatory vendor provided bag to prepare them, or can the meal prepared in ziploc bag too.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

Ziplock that i am thinking of isn't capable of containing boiling water. You need something of heavier gauge. Perhaps you could reuse the original container if cleaned thoroughly in which case ziplock can simply serve as the dry storage container

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I suppose you could split some of the meals in half – Austintacious Tortilla Soup, for example, comes with two concentrated broth packets – but for others (like the sausage in Zydeco Red Beans & Rice) it would be challenging to split them up. I'm a big guy and eat well on the trail – the single PG servings are enough for me.

In early Spring or late Fall three of us will often share the tortilla soup for two as a starter and then split one 2-person meal and it's plenty.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

You could split them up alright.

Just to note, I used the single serving meals on a recent trip and ended up with a lot of thrash from each meal.

In future I will remove the paper instructions and mark each bag with the amount of water needed, remove the clay decaissant and the condiments I won't use.

adam blanton
    BPL Member

@adamallstar

Locale: Central Texas

Easy to compare to other products, they've got the nutrition panels posted on the website.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I was about to order a bunch of food from them, splitting is a must so that no food is wasted. I hear their serving size is pretty large and I'm not big person.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

As Stephen noted, the Packit Gourmet products come with a lot of packaging that then becomes trash. I use the instruction sheets as a firestarter and don't mind hauling out the dessicant when I'm finished, but there still seems to be multiple smaller ziplock bags and/or empty packets.

One thing you can do to cut down on that is to avoid ordering their "Tool Kit". It's a nice thing for them to offer, but I've found that it's not really necessary. Even when I'm doing things like cutting their sausage I just put it on an empty ziploc bag and use that as my cutting board.

I'll confess that I never really thought about the packaging before, but it would be easy to do some consolidation before setting out on a trip and eliminate at least some of it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools