Topic

Need a tougher tent stake

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Need a tougher tent stake

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

Well today i'm stuck with 2.1 oz per peg pegs.
    i'm just looking for something lighter and strong enough.
    why the MSR Groundhogs are so popular? are they a good choice for a hardsoil lightweight peg?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

The other thing about the 6 inches (or 12) of line on each guy is that if along a 12 inch line from the tent, you can find a spot that you can drive a stake in without hitting a large rock, then you're good. Or you can go sideways a little.

Yeah, if you have to use just rock then there's room to put it without displacing the tent

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Check out the date you purchased these. If you read the reviews they have changed the title over time. Initially these were sold as groundhogs (or un-branded groundhogs). You should be able to get a refund from Amazon, if they were falsely advertised at the time you purchased them.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

My take…
    First I would suggest editing the original post to "I bent my Y stakes (similar to the MSR Groundhogs)…
    Next , I have bent Ti Nail stakes (5-6mm thick) so those are not indestructible either.
    Oddly I have never bent Y stakes (I have a few types none from MSR) but of course it is possible that if and when I bent the nail stake I had used the Y type I could have bent those too.
    Franco

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

My OP edited as suggested. Good idea.

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I bought some of the coglan brand Y stakes 9" I bent one also they are not as tough

Brad Abrahams
    Spectator

@frigger

Jack those were the same ones I bought, in 9" (which was another clue of their fakery). When I bought them they were definitely advertised as Groundhogs.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

They weren't advertised as MSR Groundhogs when I bought them, so it was my bad.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

I don't want to open a new thread about the same subject.

need to find tough and light pegs for alpine hiking/regular hiking no snow or sand . everthing would be lighter than my 2.1 oz pegs i have now.

MSR groundhog?

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

There was a review article of tent stake holding strength here on BPL a while ago.

I'm not sure if you need to be a member to view it, but here it is:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/tent_stakes.html

In short the winners, in no particular order, appeared to be:

1. MSR Groundhog
    2. Easton Nano
    3. Other aluminum Y-stakes

But these are all the heavier end of lightweight stakes, if that makes any sense. They weigh 0.5-0.6oz apiece. Simple wire skewer stakes or hook stakes will work in many conditions and weigh less than half of that.

So a lot of us use Groundhogs or Nanos for tarp ridgelines or the corners of a pyramid, but skewer stakes for guylines and other odd stake loops.

Predictably, the longer (and thus heavier) a stake is the better it holds, but the ones listed above also had good holding power for a given length.

This BPL article is one of the reasons MLD distributes Easton stakes.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

i broke all of my Easton nano except 1 on my GR10 thru hike last year i dont trust them at all! the head is coming off to easily when the ground become hursh.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

If you had problems with the new Easton Nano stakes you should read this thread.

Easton will replace them.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

better than Groundhogs? :o

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools