Topic

Rae Lakes Loop vs. Evolution Valley out and back

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Rae Lakes Loop vs. Evolution Valley out and back

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I am pondering my options- Florence Lake to Evolution Valley out and back vs. Rae Lakes loop. I have been all over the Sierra, been to Evolution Valley 2x, never done the Rae Lakes loop but have been up Bubbs. Is Rae Lakes mind blowing or should I stick to my bread and butter? I'll be going for 4 days 3 nights.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Four days is about right for the Rae Lakes Loop. Instead of going up Bubbs Creek, you could go the opposite direction so that you are coming down Bubbs Creek. Everybody needs to visit there once.

–B.G.–

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Bob is right. I think everyone should see Rae lakes at least once. It was certainly mind blowing for me.

Kent C.

@kent

Locale: High Sierra

Third time or first time…I'd suggest Rae Lks. Loop.

Rae Lakes might not blow your mind, but Dollar Lk. might. I think it's one of the most beautiful spots in all the Sierra. (Then again, I saw it in a high-water year; YMMV.)

Go for something new :-)

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

If you fish, ya gotta stay at Rae Lakes, unless you expect to catch big fish. So many fish there, keep some for at least one meal to thin them out. I looped around thru 60 Lakes Basin, so I missed part of the trail after camping a night at Woods Creek Jct. by the suspension bridge.
    Duane

GD
    BPL Member

@nsiderbam

I'm roadtripping this summer and have to drive up from home (Las Vegas) to Washington state to pick up my girlfriend before heading back to school in Maryland. I was looking for a short (2 or 3 day) loop trip that I could do by myself on my way up to Washington and came across the Rae Lakes Loop. Would you guys recommend it? I couldn't find too much info on it.

edit: Do you need a permit for this trail? If so, is it so popular that I couldn't show up on the day of (there's really only 1 or 2 days that I could feasibly start this trip on) and get one?

edit2: nvm, found the info.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

I will not say that it is impossible to do it in 2 or 3 days, but I don't think that you would want to. Last time I was there, it was 3.5 days.

Permit? Yes, of course. Permits can be had at the Roads End permit station. However, it is a very popular route, and there is a lot of competition for the quota. So, permit reservations can be had, or else show up very early and be prepared to battle off the others standing in line for a walk-in permit.

–B.G.–

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

A potentially easier options if you are coming from Vegas is to head over Kearsarge Pass to get onto the Loop. It is a nice area and possibly much faster than going all the way to Roads end. It adds a couple of miles but they are nice miles. As far as whether it can be done in 2-3 days, sure, there are many that run/hike it in a day. But can you do it in 2-3 days. Only you can answer that. Being lightweight and in good shape will certainly help your cause. If you go in from Kearsarge the permit is obtained I believe through Inyo NF. There is a permit station in the Lone Pine area. Also, you will need a canister to stay legal and there are rangers that check in that area.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Since I work on the east side, I take 395 down to Independence. When I did it going clockwise over Kearsarge, a father and son did the loop out of Roads End in two nights. I met them the first night at Vidette Meadow area and the morning they left by Upper Paradise CG, they came up from Road's End for their first night, second Woods Creek. It can be done, the dad was retired, early 60's or so, son early 30's maybe.
    Duane

Randall Spratt

@genreviam

Locale: Minnesota

I have done the Loop 3 times, and Florence to Evolution Valley once. Evolution Valley is beautiful, but the Loop is a must see. Here is a link to my 2009 Rae Lakes Loop trip journal and pics.

4 Days is perfect. It can be done in less, but why rush? Each time I promise myself I will spend a day at Rae Lakes to just soak in the beauty.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

I have a permit for Rae Lakes loop counterclockwise, I'll give it a go thanks to the input. I need to give my myog a run through the ringer. Sounds like a solid hike, I'll post a UL trip report, I'm at about 5lbs base right now without a bear can. Time to train.

KC

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I'm at about 5lbs base right now without a bear can."

How much with a bear can, since they are required?

–B.G.–

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

doing Rae Lakes Loop from the Eastside out of Onion Valley and over Kearsarge Pass adds 10 miles and a bit over 4,000' of elevation gain to the trip.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

"How much with a bear can, since they are required?"

I may use a BV 450 or rent a Bearikade scout at roads end if they have one, this will put me at 7-7.5 lb base weight.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools