Topic

Waist pack hydration

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Waist pack hydration

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

When I day hike I carry a GG RicSak, but I'd prefer to carry water on my waist. I use Pacer Poles and know that most waist packs have the bottle slots in such a position that I'd likely bump them with the poles. Anyone using anything that might work?

Thanks,
    Leigh

Anthony Miller

@heirphoto

I have quite a few waist packs as I am mainly a day hiker and like having nothing on my back at times. so far I have not had any issues with the bottle positions getting in the range of motion when I use poles. At various times I may use a single pole but at others I will use a pair of poles rather agressively to help move fast for fitness.

I have two Mountainsmith waistpacks, a single bottle and a double as well as a Go Lite with widely angled bottle pockets and no issues.

A lot may depend on body size though. I am 6' 6" and 230# so the proportions of a smaller person may be different. Narrrow waist/hips and more and closer arm movements could have a different result than I do.

Tony

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I trail run regularly w/ both a Talon 4 and a Black Diamond Fuse- they are very similar packs- similar volume, both hold two 22 oz bottles, I recently bought the Fuse because I got a deal I couldn't pass up. The Fuse is a little lighter (8 oz vs 10 oz); both ride nice while running-the Fuse a little nicer; the Talon holds more even though they state they are the same volume; the belt pockets are a little larger on the Fuse, but a little secure when opening them; the bottles are a little easier to access on the Talon, but I'm starting to get used to the Fuse.

Either holds a small fak, small fire kit, heatsheet blanket, small headlamp, windshirt, beanie, gloves, TP, sunscreen, anti-chafe, cell phone, keys and a little food

Talon 4

Photobucket

Fuse

Photobucket

typical loadout for either

Photobucket

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Very helpful. I've been googling some and came up with a few others, but not good reviews or too small capacity.
    These however, both look like good possibilities and I appreciate that you have first hand knowledge for both. Additionally, since they hold most everything I'd carry in the Riksak,I could use it for strictly dayhiking and use the RikSak for dayhiking from basecamp on backpacking trips where weight is a factor.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Cool. I may try this in an effort to get rid of the sweaty back thing. Often times I don't need the room of even a small pack like the Hornet 24 I've been using. I do a lot of local hikes where this would be great. Just need food, water, an extra long sleeve shirt and my FAK/survival kit. I noted that one person in this thread indicated that the bottles hit her arms. I this a problem for you? That is if you've used it for day hikes vs. running? I don't run, just walk with the occasional quick step and if it is steep where I go then I'll have trekking poles too.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

Try to check out the various waistpacks in person before you buy, if possible. I tried the Talon 4 and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to ride properly on my hips. This is likely 'cuz I'm a Clydesdale instead of a slim ultra-thete like Eugene!

I tried the Camelbak Delaney DC and it fit perfectly. Not a lot of room for cargo on that one, though. So I cut off one bottle holster and sewed on a 5x7x3 cordura pouch. Looks like Frankenstein but does the job.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I do a fair amount of walking on my long runs and the bottles on both packs seem to be well out of the way- for me anyways :)

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Thanks for the advice. I live in SoCal so I can go to an REI to try stuff like this on for size. It should be fun. -I'm a skinny guy of 150 lbs. on a heavy day. We'll see if it'll work for this walker.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools