Topic

Suggestions for a 4 day loop in CO

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Suggestions for a 4 day loop in CO

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

I think asking for 4 day loop hike is a bit vague since no one knows how many miles you want to do. I would clarify with the type of trip of you would prefer. Do you want to hang out on a couple of days and enjoy scenery, do you want a lot of miles, do you want to bag some peaks, is a loop required etc… anything would help.

One of the top Backpack trips in Colorado is the 4-Pass Loop in the Maroon Bells Wilderness, however, it wouldn't meet your 4-5 day criteria unless you were also going to take your time and maybe bag some peaks as well or fish.

RMNP has some loops you could construct that would meet larger mileage requirements but of course there is Red Tape involved with permits to obtain etc..

Another possibility if the loop wasn't an absolute requirement is to do a multi section hike of the Colorado Trail, particularly the sections in the San Juan mountains.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

As sated above, let us know what kind of loop you have in mind, miles you want to hike, etc. Plenty of options!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

I don't think LCW is a good option this year. The LCW is a little lower in elevation than some other areas and is affected even more by the hot dry conditions we have had.

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

The forest fires have mainly affected the immediate Front Range and for the most part have passed. Holy Cross Wilderness would be a good option though I haven't done any backpack loops there, just climbed Mt. of the Holy Cross.

Disclaimer: That area is very rugged wilderness and high elevation. I would hesitate to recommend that area unless you have done thorough research and know what you are getting into. There have been a number of incidents (people lost and worse) in that area in the last 10 years.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Maybe 4 pass loop out of Apsen/Snowmass can be done.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools