Topic

Adding solid wall to mesh inner on TT SS1

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Adding solid wall to mesh inner on TT SS1

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Folks,

I'm almost on the verge of ordering SS1 and certainly want raised solid wall for cold draft protection and privacy reason.

However looking at the images on TT's website, I believe TT has raised the partial wall way too much IMO. They should have reduced it by 4-5 inches to keep people inside the tent be aware of what is happening outside and still protected from cold drafts.

I emailed TT on customizing the tent and lowering the solid wall but they replied back telling they can't do it.

I would like to hear from MYOG experts on what are my options to make the tent partial solid for height of my liking if I go ahead and order just the mesh inner.

Tim Cleary

@hempstead

Locale: Lost

First of all, unless you sleep with your head on the floor of the bathtub, you are not going to be below 'eye' level of the 4-5" bottom. Even then one of your eyes will likely be above it…

Secondly I think that there is enough give in the bathtub floor supports to crunch it down a bit. On my TT Moment, if I were to choose to do so, I could simply put a rock or a stick or my mat near the corner border and it would scrunch down the bathtub by a couple of inches easy. This is a byproduct of what is a pretty forgiving connection between mesh and floor.

FInally I haven't looked at SS1 (Franco? Anyone?) but on my TT you could cinch the tent wall up (or down). However, perhaps this is exclusive to Moment.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

Tim, thanks for he reply.

BTW I am not talking about the bathtub floor, if you see in the picture below, there is a new offering from TT where one can choose a solid wall replacing most the mesh fabric on the wall.

TT SS1 with solid wall.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

I imagine it would be a bit time-consuming, but it should be doable. You could even have fun with it and use different colors and nice, very light material like M50 at Thru-Hiker.com (that might save you a small amount of weight over the noseeum netting).

Are you looking to do it yourself or seeking someone else on the forums to do it for you? If you want to do it yourself, it just comes down to your commitment to getting the project done.

Yes 1000
    Spectator

@mamamia

I've absolutely no skills in sewing, but I'm open for some idea's on how to get it done, use Velcro to attach the solid wall to the net?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools