Topic

Backpack fly fishing mid atlantic

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Backpack fly fishing mid atlantic

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevin Needham

@troutbums

I've been an avid hiker and have just picked up fly fishing in the last year. I live in Baltimore city and fish the Gunpowder River regularly. I would really like to expand my fly fishing into weekend trips where I can backpack and fishing all weekend. Brook streams in PA and Shenandoah area are intriguing, but I just don't know exactly where to go. I'm not looking for exact spots, but maybe a hike where I can camp and fish throughout a weekend.

I can find plenty of great trials and streams, but never together. I'm right on the edge of just finding streams and figuring out the camping when i get there, but I'd prefer to do it legit and remote.

I have licenses in PA, MD & VA so I'm more interested in those states, but I'm open to traveling to NY or NC.

Mainly I'm interested in a direction for my research or readings. I feel like there is a fair amount of info out there on the internet, but somewhat vague.

Any response is much appreciated and thanks in advance.

gregory tomlinson

@osconfused

Locale: New York City

I am actually looking into fly fishing backpacking trips as well. I have been scouting locations in Harriman State Park (NY), which isn't too far from me, without much luck. I ended up picking up a copy of Flyfisher's Guide to New York which appears to have several suggestions for locations. I have since been adjusting my expectations, Harriman in early spring and it looks like the Catskills are a better choice for later in the summer. The book appears to be printed for every state, I'd be very curious about fishing in PA and New Jersey, as some parts of those states are closer to me in New York City than the Catskills. I am trying to plan for spring of 2013 as that looks to be when NY DEC does any stocking, and the intermittent streams here actually have water in them in the spring, unlike in August/September when they are essentially dry or a trickle.

Paul Huber

@ls2379

Locale: Central Virginia

In Google Earth layers section,under more, turn on Parks and Recreation areas, that will show all the parks and all the hiking trails in Shenandoah National Park. Then go here http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/gis/google-earth-files.asp and save the trout waters KMZ file it will show all the trout waters in Virginia. Many SNP trails run along side these trout waters. You just need to then match up the river with the trails.

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

@Gregory, Funny you should mention Harriman as I plan to go backpacking there this weekend and will be bringing my tenkara rig and trying some winter tenkara fishing.

I am mostly bringing the tenkara rig to practice tenkara technique, but I don't see why I couldn't catch something?

Although I agree that Harriman is not a great place to fish for trout, it is teaming with largemouth bass, pike or pickerel(I don't remember?) and of course the various little bluegills/sunnies.
    The Catskills and Adirondacks are probably the place to go for trout as well as many local NY/NJ rivers.

Most of my fishing experience comes from out west, but I have heard the Ramapo River(an easy commute from NYC) is a good place to catch trout on a fly.

In regards to NY, most of the good spots are secret and not published. Best places are probably away from roads and this is why I tenkara:-(

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

… has tons of trails that run near streams.

I looks to me as if most backpacking trails in the state have good trout fishing somewhere along them. I intend to explore some of them with that in mind.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools