Topic

Sawtooth Wilderness loop from Grandjean TR

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Sawtooth Wilderness loop from Grandjean TR

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

I just had a great experience in the Sawtooths and want to recommend the loop to others.

I started at the Grandjean trailhead, kind of a backdoor to the Sawtooths, ideally bypassing some Redfish Lake crowds. I went up Baron Creek, crossed the pass over and continued past Alpine lake. I spent one night at the largest of the Cramer lakes, nestled under, Decker, the arrowhead and Finger of Fate. Can you say alpenglow! Returned via the SF Payette trail which is straight, downhill and kinda boring (except for glimpses of the SF and epic cascades).

My GE calculations put it at about 35 miles all the way around ( ).

The route featured countless alpine lakes, cascades, craggy granite peaks, massive piles of bear sh**, etc. The Sawtooths have got to be one of the most accessible yet rugged areas in the country. Plan a trip! I have been missing out. Anyway, some photos:

gj1

gj2

gj3

gj4

Christian Spilker

@cspilker

Thank you for your great post and pictures it looks like you really had a good time. I am heading for the Grand Sawtooths trail via Grandjean this weekend and wondered if you had any further insights on trail conditions.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools