Topic

Emigrant Wilderness Loop

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Emigrant Wilderness Loop

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

4 days 3 nights with very dry warm weather!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Wow Jay – this looks like an amazing area. It's been on my to-do list for a bit now. I'll have to see if I can make it down there later this season. Thanks for the stoke.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Jay, looking good man… glad to see your out there.

Great photos

David W.
    BPL Member

@davidpcvsamoa

Locale: East Bay, CA

Great stuff Jay. Where did you travel for your loop?

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Hey David, I got to Kennedy Meadows late Thursday evening and hiked in to Relief Reservoir about 3 miles and cowboy camped on granite. Got up Friday morning and hiked to Deer Lake-camped and fished than got up Saturday morning and hiked to Emigrant Lake-camped fished and finally went over Mosquito Pass to Kennedy Meadows Sunday morning. It was hot and dry a no water in the streams or creeks very strange! In N Out Manteca

Marc Eldridge
    BPL Member

@meld

Locale: The here and now.

Nice loop. Sorry we didn't do this one.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

Did you encounter many skeeters? What were the approx. high/low temps there?

Thanks,

rhz

David Hankins
    BPL Member

@hankinsohl

Locale: Pacific Northwest

>> Did you encounter many skeeters? What were the approx. high/low temps there?

I just got back from a similar trip – Crabree Camp trailhead to Long Lake and back. I estimate that temperatures were in the upper 80's/low 90's at midday with lows in the low 70's/high 60's at night. I encountered lots of mosquitos and biting flies. If you're going, definately bring deet and a headnet.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

+1 what David said (DEET & Headnet) The creeks and streams are almost non existent so watch your water intake and where you plan to get water. The lakes are the only for sure water supply.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I was up in the same neck of the woods. In fact we went by Deer Lake on Friday morning on our way from Leighton Lake to Pinto Lakes.

Came in from Gianelli TH on Wed, to Leopold Lake, to Leighton Lake,to Pinto Lakes. 2 nights at Pinto Lakes and up Granite Dome & Black Hawk Mtn.; out sunday AM. Pretty good wildflowers.

butterflies on flowers

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Heading on up into this general area for a trip starting August 10. Hopefully the mosquitos are mostly/all gone by then. And thanks for the tip on water. Not sure of exact route or trail head but most likely Gianelli's or Crabtree.

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Wow David,

That's unusually hot, no? I just plotted out that temperature stats for Gianelli:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=8142&end=07%2F1%2F2012+21%3A04&geom=medium&interval=20&cookies=cdec01

Perhaps you were there around the 12th of July. I know that there can be sharp variations in temperature as a function of precise location…

Hope it won't be a scorcher two weeks from now!

thanks,
    rhz

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools