Topic

Which neoprene socks?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Which neoprene socks?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I just bought some NRS wet socks from REI. I put some tissues in them and submerged then in water for a few minutes. They definitley did not work.
    I need something for situations where it is just too cold to let my feet get wet. What neoprene socks would you guys recommend?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

If you want waterproof you'll need Goretex socks. The neoprene is just to keep you warm, not dry.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Alright I feel stupid now… I figured that neoprene was 100% waterproof but I have actually never used anything neoprene before. That makes a lot of sense. If they keep my feet warm when wet, then they are all good by me.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

You absolutely must seam seal neoprene socks. Genuine neoprene will not leak anywhere but at the seams.

I have light neoprene dive socks that I seam sealed once (both sies) in 1997 and have worn them every winter since in my heavy feltpacs. Never a leak when I wash them at home. They do get stinky after a few days and need to be rinsed out and then dried.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

The Rocky GoreTex socks are the best socks out there if you're looking at WP/B. Seal Skinz have a poor rep. I have NRS Hydroskin socks as well (certainly not waterproof, not even the neoprene as it's saturated after a day of walking in the wet). The Hydroskins play a neat role as well (keeping feet warm in the wet shoulder seasons) although I do find I get a high amount of blisters when continually hiking in wet feet as my feet heavily prune up. I'll likely try Rocky GoreTex socks + Hydroskins in challenging conditions in the future. I'm still not sure which in which order.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Dan- you'll have to keep us posted on that experiment :) I've had very good luck w/ Rocky socks and thin merino socks underneath- this is in wet cool to cold conditions. Also no moisture above the height of the socks. If I were going to be regularly fording streams and the like I think I'd go the Hydroskin route.

Dan- did you have thin socks under the Hydroskins when you got blisters? I think if I go w/ Hydroskins I'll try a thin liner underneath.

Also give Hydropel a shot, if I know there is a high likelihood of my feet being wet I use Hydropel- stuff works :)

Mike

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I sometimes use neoprene socks in cold weather. They also double as a camp shoe for quick trips in the night.

The ones I use have thousands of holes in them (by design). That way they let sweat out. They are still warm, however.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools