Topic

Alcohol Stove vs Jetboil Sol Ti – weight savings, is it worth it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Alcohol Stove vs Jetboil Sol Ti – weight savings, is it worth it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

While I am aware of the intent of the op in comparing the Jetboil with alcohol stoves it needs to be remembered that there are much lighter gas options than the Jetboil. My one person setup weighs in at 250g (8.8oz)(Monatauk Gnat, cozy, windshield and 550ml pot plus the dead weight of a 100g canister) giving a dead weight saving of 130g (33%) over the Jetboil with relatively close fuel performance. Adding a bigger pot still only adds 25-35g (approx 1oz).

I agree that for 2-3 days alcohol will be lighter but I side with the ease of use crowd and I have sufficient fuel if I decide I want more hot drinks than I planned for.

A solution to the stack of part used canisters is to carry two part used ones on easy trips – only a weight penalty of 90g for 100g capacity canisters.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yes, well aware of that. I used a 3oz number for the canister stove in my calculations. I believe my Coleman F1 was very light at 2.5oz (I shaved it down a bit.) Others range from about 2.5-7oz or so. Jet boils, sans cup weigh about 5oz depending…)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

+1 to dan's post. You want to compare the average daily carry weight. The issue with the JetBoil is that unless your cooking needs are perfectly aligned with the fuel in a single canister, you end up having to carry the dead weight of a first canister when you are into the second and/or extra fuel. For my style (two small boils / day for 1 person) alcohol, or esbits (which is what I use now) stay consistently lighter than JetBoil.

As Jim pointed out, weight isn't the only factor. Another issue is the compactness of the system. My entire system (including esbits fuel for up to 12 days) fits inside my MLD 850ml pot/mug. Most likely alcohol wouldn't be quite so compact, but it would be pretty good. I have not had a problem with wind or rain when using the Caldera Cone ULC.

I switch to a iso butane stove when I a cooking for a number of people or if I have to melt snow for water because achohol and esbits don't run hot enough to manage these tasks efficiently.

–Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools