Topic

Bob Marshall about 9/22/2012, Any Interest?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Bob Marshall about 9/22/2012, Any Interest?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

Locale: Minneapolis-St. Paul

I am heading out to the Bob Marshall Wilderness about 9/22/2012 to do a 4-day recon of the "Bob Open" course.

My dates and routes are flexible.

I am looking for similar minded individual(s) looking to cover 15-25 miles/day in less than ideal conditions.

You will know if this gig is right for you.

Carl Kohnstamm

@carlkohnstamm

Wish I could join you, been wanting to do something similar. I live in whitefish but am not able to get away from work before school starts up again. Good Luck!

Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

Will start at the Medow Creek trailhead, spend two days hiking to the headwaters of the South Fork of the Flathead River, and 2 day float back.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Sounds like fun, I MIGHT be interested. I'm working as a substitute this fall so it will be a week or two before I really know how much work I will be getting and whether or not I could afford a trip to MT. If it looks like a possibility I will let you know as soon as I can.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

The South Fork above the reservoir is exceptionally low at the moment, and will only get lower unless it rains a lot in the next few weeks. With flows below 500cfs @ Twin Creek I wouldn't bother floating above Salmon Forks, you'll be dragging and dodging rocks like crazy.

Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

David:

Thank you for the information.

Do you have any alternative packrafting suggestions in MT or WY?

About 4 days in length, about 1/2 packrafting, Class 1 or 2?

If not a packraft, how about a 4-day fastpack in the Bob, about 20 miles/day, could be out and back or a big loop?

Thank you.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

That much packrafting at that grade is a tall order in autumn. Especially this year, with such a dry summer. Nothing really comes to mind.

There are many ~80 mile loops to be done in the Bob. The Chinese Wall as a circle from Benchmark or Gibson is good. Hiking from Monture and going over Hahn Pass to Danaher and then back over Limestone Pass is also good. The Gordon Creek to Big Salmon loop, starting and ending at Holland lake also comes to mind.

Beware, mid-Sept is the start of wilderness deer and elk season out there.

Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

David:

Thank you for your suggestions. I will do one of those loops.

I am aware of elk hunting season. I will wear a bright orange road biking jersey and a have a couple of bear bells on my pack to shoo away the grizzlies.

All the best,

Mitch

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

there is an early (and pretty popular) hunting season in the Bob Complex- I'd strongly advise wearing orange or other bright color

it's definitely a beautiful time of the year to be in the Bob

Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

I decided against a fast pack loop gig since I have done many of those already, although not in The Bob.

Decided to stick with the South Fork of the Flathead. If flows are low, will hike up to Salmon Forks, then float down to the Hungry Horse Reservoir.

Will be hard to miss wearing a neon orange jersey with neon green buff.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Even rafting down from Salmon forks is going to be fun. Let us know how it goes.

Mitchell Rossman

@bigmitch

Will do.

I bought a 2012 Alpacka Denali Llama with factory spraydeck in June, so I must make a trip with it before winter. A climbing trip got in the way this summer.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools