Topic

Bear safety/regulations in Beartooth-Absaroka Wilderness

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Bear safety/regulations in Beartooth-Absaroka Wilderness

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Julian Bender
    Spectator

@jbphilly

Hey, I'm going to hiking in mid-late August for about 5 days in the Beartooths with a group of 5-8 people. This will be my first time camping in grizzly country (I think all of our first time) and I'm a bit paranoid. Slightly about actual bear attacks, but substantially worried about our food being eaten and us being stranded 2 days from civilization with no food…that kinda thing.

Is bear-bagging good enough in this area? If we're camping above treeline, for example, will finding trees lower down be an issue, or are there usually large enough trees in most places? Any other bear-safety-related experiences here?

It is comforting that I'll be with a large group, which is presumably a bear deterrent, but I'll probably spend the nights sleeping fitfully and worrying about our food being eaten by the morning…

David Palmer
    BPL Member

@djpfive

Locale: Arizona

Bring those odor-proof zip-lock bags, enough for everybody's food/soap/toothpaste/whatever.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools