Topic

double wall alternative to six moon designs duo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) double wall alternative to six moon designs duo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi,

I'm in the market for a roomy two person lightweight tent. I like the looks of the SMD Duo. I'm wondering if there's a double wall alternative of similar weight, size, and price. Anything come to mind?

Thanks,

rhz

Erik Hagen
    BPL Member

@ewh100

I love my Lunar Duo but if I were in the market right now i would take a hard look at the TT Stratospire 2.

http://www.tarptent.com/stratospire2.html

Herbert Sitz
    BPL Member

@hes

Locale: Pacific NW

Have you not seen the SMD Haven? It's pretty close to what you describe. You buy the Haven tarp and combine it with the Haven innner nettent. Combo comes in at around 34oz, $350:
    SMD Haven Tarp
    SMD Haven NetTent

Or go cuben on the Haven tarp and go even lighter, but it costs more.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

There will be a "solid" (fabric) inner avaliable for the SS2 soon.
    looks like this :
    SS2 solid inner
    Franco

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

But for my money, I'd probably stick with SMD. Have a Scout. Waiting on a cuben skyscape X as we speak. That said, the HMG Echo tarp and net really raises my G.A.S. meter something serious.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Franco…..any info on the expected weight of the mostly solid SS2 inner?

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi,

I thought about going this route, but it looks like two large neo airs (25X77) would be a tight fit in the net-tent.

Thanks.

rhz

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

What would be the advantage to a "solid" fabric inner?

Dan Cherry

@risingsun

Locale: Northern Arizona

Two 25" wide NeoAirs fit fine in the StratoSpire2. I speak from experience, as this is what my wife and I use.

Can't say much about the Haven.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Weight of the solid inner ?
    I would expect about 2 oz more (Henry probably told me but can't remember…)
    The advantage would be if you camp in windy areas and particularly where sand comes into play (or comes into the tent…)
    To some it could mean still having privacy with the fly open .
    You can still look out of the top third .
    Franco

Rafi Harzahav
    Spectator

@rhz10

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the info about the pads fitting. How tall are you? Do you head/feet hit the netting? Is there room inside for storing your pack or do you leave it in the vestibule?

Thanks again.

rhz

Dan Cherry

@risingsun

Locale: Northern Arizona

Rafi, I'm about 6' to 6'1" no problems touching the netting when lying down unless the tent is pitched on a slope and I slump one way or the other in the night. But there is still good clearance between the netting and the outer tarp/fly, so brushing up against the netting is reall a non-issue. I would say that there is room to put the pack inside at my feet with a tight fit, which might cause my head to be against the netting, depending on the size of the pack, but with the huge vestibules on the SS2, there is no need to do this, and I usually just bring the necessities into the tent with me, leaving the pack in the vestibule or outside if weather is cooperating.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools