Topic

JMT blowdown updates

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

From what I can tell there are still some areas of blowdowns around Purple Lake and perhaps elsewhere. I was hoping to go south from Reds Meadows (now open) and come out at North Lake near Bishop, in a week or two. Anyone have info/ sources on blowdown conditions on this stretch of the JMT? Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yesterday I was just north of there at Agnew Meadow. Yes, there was a lot of timber laying on the ground. The contractor had it cut and stacked so that the trail was completely open. There won't be any shortage of firewood for a while.

–B.G.–

Nathan Hays

@oroambulant

Locale: San Francisco

On 6/29, between Gladys Lake and Johnston Meadow, lots of trees down, many walks arounds and climb overs. Many hikers going on through, not taking PCT bypass. South through to Florence Lake by 7/6, no problems.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Bob, which trail(s) did you take out of Agnew Meadows? Everything open and good? How "different" looking is everything?

Art …
    BPL Member

@asandh

Here is the latest blowdown clearing report.

Blowdown Report

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Excellent. Thanks for the link, Art.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

Should be very passable all the way through. When I went through Inyo the ranger there told me that he had seven crews workig on it. I we t through over a week ago and there were some blowdowns leaving VVR from the south down to Tully Hole but it was cleared from purple lake to Donahue pass. I don't think there were any in Yosemite that were a big deal.

All of the ones I came across on the PCT were very, very manageable. If you see a trail crew out there give them all high fives.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools