Topic

Repair Kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Repair Kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mike bievenour

@mrbieven

What repair kit extras do you take. Zip ties, electrical tape sewing thread. What else is needed for a crew of 12.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

what do you intend to repair with zip ties and electrical tape?

If you cannot answer that question, you dont need it.

Daniel Lee
    BPL Member

@scoutbuff

Locale: Colorado

I found duct tape and seam grip helpful for many repairs… I found duct tape in an 8×8 sheet (cut down to 4×8 pieces) vice a roll. This was much lighter and easier to carry rather than wrapping it around a Nalgene, which I don't carry…

ed dzierzak
    BPL Member

@dzierzak

Locale: SE

A few wraps around an old hotel key (credit card-size plastic) makes a good amount of tape to carry. No need to make a water bottle a smellable.

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I don't carry duct tape and I've never needed it. I do have medical tape and Leukotape in the first aid kit. I'd put Leukotape up against duct tape any day.

I carry a tiny needle and thread kit. It is light and there is just no substitute for sewing things back together.

We had to re-attached a hipbelt to an internal frame pack on one trek. We bored holes through the belt and the plastic pack frame with a knife point and tied it on with cord. Worked rather well.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Remember that there are commissaries and staffed camps available, so you area not really that far from help and small stores.

Our 12 person crew took
    -one small roll duck tape that we did not use
    -one Thermarest repair kit since all the adults were carrying Thermarests. We did not need to do any repairs
    => I have had valves fail but never a puncture, even when I stepped on my pad with my crampons (lucky me)
    -two tent pole repair sleeves
    -one small sewing kit (the kind hotels used to give you for free). Some of the Dry Ducks clone rain gear we had started to fall apart, so we did do a bit of sewing

Elizabeth Fallin
    Spectator

@fallin

I second the Leukotape. Also, consider adding one hip belt buckle set. I never go anywhere without my spare…it's the most critical buckle on the pack.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools