Topic

Lost Coast carpooling August 12 or 13th

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Lost Coast carpooling August 12 or 13th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Lou Rob

@lou_27

Hi,
    We are two french hitchhikers looking for a driver to Lost Coast, CA, on the 12th or the 13th of August. We come from the South (initially from San Francisco)
    Anyone ?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I may be able to assist. First I have a couple of questions.

Which trailhead would you like to start from?

What are you transpiration arrangements for after the hike?

Since you say that you are hitchhiking I take that to mean you will have no car at the end of your hike or need to do a shuttle. Correct?

Sunday the 12th would be the better day for me. I could do later in the day on Monday.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Lou Rob

@lou_27

Great!
    Actually we have no idea what trailhead is the best (perhaps you could give us some advice on this question). But is it possible to sleep on the spot (we have a tent)? That would also determine the trail we could head for.

And for the way back, I'm glad you asked the question as…indeed we have no car. Are you close enough to Lost Coast to shuttle twice? If yes, I don't know how to thank you.
    For the way in, the 12th is OK if it's better for you!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I would suggest then that you start at the Mattole trailhead and hike south to Shelter Cove. You will find getting a ride to Garberville and Hwy 101 less problematic.

Have you seen/read this? http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/arcata/kingrange/index.html

Lou Rob

@lou_27

Thanks, that will be useful. We're examining at the moment the itinerary, I will answer you clearly as soon as possible!

Lou Rob

@lou_27

Hello again!
    I asked some advice to many people, and the best for us would indeed be to sleep at Mattole, hike during the day, and then go back to Mattole.
    However, our planning changed (I'm very very sorry about it) : we'll be heading to Lost Coast on the 9th, afternoon, and leave on the 10th, late afternoon. Does that cause any kind of disturbance for you?
    If you can still help us, where would we meet you and your car?

Thanks,

Louise

Harald Hope
    Spectator

@hhope

Locale: East Bay

You're also aware that you need to bring bear canisters to the Lost Coast, I believe, anyway.

I guess if you go overnight, eat the food that you bring in, and have no food in the morning, you could skip that. But I doubt a ranger would find that story interesting if he asks you for your canister.

Randy Bertoli

@freakystyley

bear canisters are available to rent for $5 at the Petrolia General Store, I live in eureka and would be available to help drive back down if you don't already have a ride back. I can drive you as far south as the SF bay area where my family lives.

Lou Rob

@lou_27

Hi Randy !

We planned to leave SF on the 9th (morning) and stay in Lost Coast until the 10th afternoon, so that we could sleep in Eureka, from where our trip would go on more easily.

Thanks for your proposal, please contact us asap on the 1-310-425-4367 if you see any possible way to help us.

Mathias & Louise

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools