Topic

expeditition backpacks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) expeditition backpacks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    nick miller

@millertime130

I've got a question to throw out there…does anyone have any advice on expedition size backpacks? Ive recently (about 8mths ago) got my first CiloGear pack, and i really like it due to its lightness and its lack of bells in whistles…i think too many packs out there have too much stuff added to them that arent really neccessary. However, i'm not sure its the best pack out there for my trip to alaska next year. I also think that the denali pro is way too heavy…anyways, any advice on expeditions packs would be great….thanks

S Long
    BPL Member

@izeloz

Locale: Wasatch

Hyperlite Mountain Gear. I love my Porter.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

McHale

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

having some idea of what you are going to be doing with the pack will help in getting pointed in the right direction. as mentioned above, if money is no object dan mchale can/will pretty-much build whatever you could dream of. i've got a cilogear 60l and it's pretty-much as big as i'd ever need. if i was going to alaska to climb denali (west butt) i'd be trying to borrower or would buy cilo's 75l. as far as well designed, big volume load haulers at a competitive price, the cilo 75l is hard to beat. i'd have very few opportunities to use a pack that big again. some of my climbing partners, who can own pretty much any pack they want, still use their old dana terraplane or gregory denali as their "expedition" packs that they've modified and cut things off of over the years. they are not light packs by any stretch of the imagination, but as mchale will tell you, when you start hauling a lot of weight, the pack weight as a percentage of total weight (i know, heresy on backpackinglight.com) becomes less important when compared to its ability to carry a lot of weight comfortably. most important in your pack selection is how it fits you, no matter which manufacturer/pack you choose.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

The pack you need is Mystery Ranch Trance XXX it is a 69 liter no frills pack made out of Xpac cordura and Mx 25 Kevlar impregnated cordura bottom and only weighs 4 pounds 2 ounces. A all Xpac bag make it pretty water proof.
    It has the famous Mystery Ranch hauling system with a X frame that Dana Gleason pioneered back in the old Dana Designs days can haul 30 to 50 lbs and the X frame has been tested to carry 70 lbs if needed.
    http://www.mysteryranch.com/adventure/backpacking-packs/trance-xxx-pack

Or if you need a more recent version of Dana Designs Terra plane the Mystery Ranch G5000 is 82 liters pack hauls 50 to 80 lbs.
    http://www.mysteryranch.com/adventure/backpacking-packs/g5000-pack

Terry

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

I love my Osprey Aether 85 !

I've owned a bunch including a Dana Desing Terraplane . and this is my favorite .. Super comfortable

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Another vote for McHale, it's a custom pack so it's not cheap or quick.

David Ure

@familyguy

Plus 1 on the Porter and the MR Trance. The Trance is very large and the suspension is good to 50 plus lbs easily. Good pricing as well and the quality is second to none.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

How long of a trip and activity?
    I used my Six Moons Design 4200 ci pack three years ago for a six day trip, worked fine.
    Duane

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

> Another vote for McHale, it's a custom pack so it's not cheap or quick.

Especially if you order it in Dyneema, which I did with mine. It's quite a bit lighter than you'd expect for a similarly sized pack in a conventional fabric, but yes… they are pricey.

That said, they're also precisely what you want, since they're custom made. Plus, Dan doesn't mind answering questions about the packs and features so that you can make educated decisions about what you're getting.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

The prototype was Ed Staffords's pack for his 800+ day expedition walking the Amazon from source to sea.

Ed talking about the pack:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvXL7SeetPg

link to pack:
    http://www.macpac.co.nz/shop/en_nz/gear-and-clothing/packs/packs-trek/11660.html

Todd Hein
    BPL Member

@todd1960

Locale: Front Range

+1. No comparison for carrying comfort and quality.

David Ure

@familyguy

Except Mystery Ranch that are equal in quality and carrying ability. Heck, their external designs are for carrying well over 100 lbs ( yuck!).

And yes, I have owned both.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Sure, it makes sense to go with Mystery Ranch if you were going to make a custom McHale pack that was the same as a Mystery Ranch. There's much more to a pack than quality and its suspension.

David Ure

@familyguy

I just wanted to be clear that one not need to buy a full dyneema pack that costs $1200 to have high quality load hauler. The benefit of a Mchale is that you get the fabrics and options that YOU want. It is definitely appealing. But the OP did not mention such a need.

nick miller

@millertime130

thanks for all the responses! yes, i am shopping around for a pack for denali (w.butt) I'm gonna check out all the advice that you guys gave me and hopefully come to a conclusion! once again, thanks for the advice!!

Ed Hayes

@ejhayes

Locale: Northwest

Another vote for the Osprey Aether line. They come in 60, 70 and 85 liters.

I have the 60 and use it more than other packs because it is so comfy.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

My lowe carries the best of all the packs I've tried when I need to carry 40+ pounds and negotiate rough terrain. I think it's because the pack is a tall narrow & shallow shape, and the back curves forward quite a bit more than packs made for walking upright on smooth trails.

Anonymous
    Inactive

C'mon David, you don't really believe that!

The guy is looking for an expedition pack, you know that McHale would be be a good choice for him.

I own three of them, and have owned two Mystery Ranch packs myself. Frankly, I was disappointed in the MR Trances load carrying ability on my trip to the Tetons one summer. Loved my G5000…up to 40 lbs.

David Ure

@familyguy

Charlie, I don't believe what?

What I said was, and I quote, "Except Mystery Ranch that are equal in quality and carrying ability. Heck, their external designs are for carrying well over 100 lbs ( yuck!)."

There is nothing in this statement that is incorrect. I felt the quality was equal, both excellent, and better than off the rack packs currently available. The MR NICE frame, an external design, was developed for hauling over 100 lb loads.

Then I said, "I just wanted to be clear that one not need to buy a full dyneema pack that costs $1200 to have high quality load hauler. The benefit of a Mchale is that you get the fabrics and options that YOU want. It is definitely appealing. "

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

if this pack work/fits you this is a pretty good deal:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1074533/Mountain_Hardwear_BMG_size_Lar#Post1074533

i know a couple of guys who've used this pack and liked it alot.

standard no-shill disclaimer: i'm not the seller and don't know the seller, just passing along what appears to be a good deal.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

McHale.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I have seen video at I think it a SHOT show were the MR sales reps and customers were carrying around full grow men hanging on the frame. That how heavy duty the NICE frame is. The primary use is the military needed a pack frame that would carry heavy combat gear or a wounded solider if needed out of harms way . Back country hunters use NICE frame also MR also has adapted it for expedition backpacking. So if you plan on doing some hunting and carrying a hunting rifle plus ammo the NICE frame system is your choice.
    The nice Frame/Shoulder straps/hipbelt alone weighs 4lbs, 4oz.,
    http://www.mysteryranch.com/hunting/nice-frame-packs

The packs I suggested are internal lighter weight framed packs that will get the job done for any thru hike with less weight .

I was also talking to a MR sales rep about how to adapted Street Fighter pack in to light weight weekend pack with a roll top and larger width sides for extra volume. Using X pac through out the pack instead of cordura 500d. He told me the frame sheet/shoulder straps/ hip belt alone weighs 1 lbs.
    He said their company will leave the ultra light weight stuff to the specialty cottage manufactures.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/adventure/backpacking-packs

http://www.mysteryranch.com/adventure/travel-urban-packs/streetfighter-pack

Terry

Don Selesky
    Spectator

@backslacker

"Hyperlite Mountain Gear. I love my Porter."

… and my Expedition. 4400 cu in, with daisy chains to strap on more gear if required. Light, but carries well.

Rakesh Malik

@tamerlin

Locale: Cascadia

> Rakish mentions to look at a full dyneema Mchale, which isn't necessary to get the inherent goodness of the pack.

You made the same mistake he did…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools