Topic

Ryan Jordan pops in

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

deleted

Paul Rudd

@paulrudd

and?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

… but it sounds like you have many interesting irons in the fire.

I'd be interested in working with the "regional" BPL aspect.

a b

@ice-axe

Eric, I am thinking about that too.
    I have two decades of hiking experience in Northern Yosemite and Hetch Hetchy in particular.
    I live three hours away from those environs.
    In the past i have taken groups of foreign (Swiss and Swiss German) visitors into the Northern Yosemite wilderness on trips. Mostly smaller groups of less than ten people.
    I would be willing to guide a group of BPL'ers to some of my favorite haunts.
    My expertise is early season snow travel.
    Anyhow, put me down for an option for early season Northern Yosemite.

jim bailey
    BPL Member

@florigen

Locale: South East

Edited…..sign

a b

@ice-axe

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I note with interest that Ryan is working closely with Sony (a big company) to make sure he is accurate in his review before publishing. I hope that he will extend exactly the same courtesy to cottage manufacturers before discussing their shelter offerings.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

For me, it's this:

For the valued information I've learned and the renewed vigor I have towards backpacking and its attendant gear, I will never regret the money I spent on this site.

I would really like it to stay the same. If it cannot, I'd like to follow this community wherever it eventually evolves to.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

it's not our place to out others with personal matters.

sigh

does anyone see anything wrong with that, or is it just me. This is quite depressing. I am off to go on a nice long walk until Sunday.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

True it was posted on a public site for just the M folks to read, and yes, it's all for everyone to read.

I myself am becoming more and more disillusioned by this whole campaign. I just don't like this. Just my 2 cents.

It's the poking and badgering that has occurred that I am not comfortable reading, and I am not the only one. I just feel there are better and more productive ways to go about things. How? I am not sure…..So please don't take me to task on that, as I have no answers.

Paul Rudd

@paulrudd

How many times have you said that you are done posting on the matter until Ryan makes a move? Can't you stick to your own words or is that something you only call Jordan on?

Dave T

@davet

Paul Rudd, your only two posts are on this subject.

Hmmmm.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

Ken – I have to agree with Ken Helwig, you should not have posted the MLIFE message from Ryan in the general forums especially since it contained personal information. He could and would have posted it to everyone if he wanted to. You have complained over and over again about Ryan not involving the MLIFE members in the strategic planning process as promised, but it's never going to happen when members like yourself have zero discretion. Ryan has started to change his behavior for the better and is becoming more communicative how about you trying to change into a more positive influence on the forums in response.
    Ron

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Obviously I speak only for myself, but I appreciate being able to see the update. I can't see the MLife thread where this post originated, but posting it here doesn't seem to be an act of malice on Ken's part. I won't speak as to Ken's behavior in this matter except to say that to me it appeared persistent and frustrated, but not hostile. I agree with most of his points concerning BPL's lack of direction and Ryan's (until now) lapse in communication, even if I would not word them the same way he has. I hope this is the start of a revival, as I'd much rather see the site become more active and engaging and positive than less.

Richard Scruggs
    BPL Member

@jrscruggs

Locale: Oregon

+1 re Ken Helwig and Ronald Dillon on posting Ryan's MLife comments in this thread.

As for merits (or lack of merits) on the substance of all the angst, when all's said and done, it's just a website for gosh sake — not "Paradise Lost" yet to be "Regained" by some self-annointed White Knight waging a war of bashing some inflatable "Dragon" endlessly.

Wouldn't blame Ryan if he just said "to heck with it" and walked away for the summer.

For anyone who might take offense at my expressing a personal opinion, it's America isn't it? And opinions sure flow pretty freely here.

Plus, my opinion comes (free of charge) with my regrets at all the anger directed at the one guy who actually created BPL, and who has done more than anyone else to keep it going since starting it up.

Now it's all come down to this: for the price of a few evenings out on the town, there's a view that Ryan has condemned himself to a lifetime of endentured servitude.

With public whippings thrown in for good measure, too.

So he's bashed like a mega-monolithic corporation lacking any integrity or morals, out to shaft the "People" who bought a ticket to ride Ryan for life.

Sure seems like a waste of tautological vitriol when there are so many real "dragons" out there to slay.

Regardless, it does seem that "burning the village to save it" is the current state of complaints, and still as oxymoronic as ever.

"It's better to light one candle than curse the darkness" just might be a positive course that would promote a better future at/for BPL.

As they say, killing 'em with kindness catches more bees.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

>> Wouldn't blame Ryan if he just said "to heck with it" and walked away for the summer <<

That suggests Ryan is back… but then I'm not an M-Lifer, so I wouldn't know that if it wasn't for Ken. ;)

If Ryan is back it's because he wants something… Oh yes, that's right, I just saw his advert for his Trekking courses… I guess you are right, we will be hearing from him.

As for Ken posting Ryan's note above… Do you M-Lifers have to sign a non-disclosure contract? Maybe a secret password and special hand-shake (or maybe a special QR code just for M-Lifers).

Paul Rudd

@paulrudd

This amounts to harassment pure and simple. Most of us, besides about five of you, have really had enough. You do not speak for the community but out of boredom or the need to prove that your ongoing badgering is justified. It isn't. Congratulations for starting yet another flame in your search for that elusive support.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Oh well

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Remember on Forest Gump when he is running across the US and he has all those followers then all of a sudden he stops and everyone stops and one guys says "Quiet I think he is gonna say something" and all he says is "I think Im gonna go home now". I cant help but read this thread and think of Forest. People have a right to what they were sold and if its not what they ordered someone should talk to them and make it right. You go to a restraunt order a burger frys and coke you never get the frys you tell the waitress she tells you the owner will contact you, he doesnt and you dont get the frys, you call the owner repeatedly he finally sends you a message that does not address why you didnt get the frys says he meant to ignore you makes a sales pitch for something else, invites you to come over for onion rings but you will have to pay for them of course. To me that restraunt owner has no integrity at all. Me I look for another place to eat, unfortunatly its the only place around, the owner knows this so he does what he pleases and what works for him. You get the crowd who says come on get a life give it up it was only frys get over it. The other day my grand daughter and I went to Mc Donalds the frys were crap and me I would have just ate them her she went up to the counter and got new frys… Damn proud of that kid. BTW I didnt start drinking again this is how I think. If anyone gets a answer why they didnt get their frys tell RJ that I no longer need the reveiw on the lightheart solo that he said he would provide as I bought one already. So how is this new trail groove restraunt er I mean magazine anyway

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Forrest Gump is funny. From what Ive read Ken is right. Everyone makes mistakes doing our best to correct them does tons for our credibility, doing nothing does also

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Just got back from a 36 mile three day trip over three passes in 3 days of 11,000 feet and more…..also drove home after descending 6,000 feet hiking 14 miles and then driving 10 hours home which included Hwy 395 being shutdown between Big Pine and Bishop for an hour because of lightening strike fires…….ohhhh wait what does this have to do with this post?

I posted earlier before I left stating that I felt it was unfare to post stuff that was on MLIFE and place it here….After a lot of thinking about it… albeit at 10,000 feet the whole time (wink!), I came to the conclusion that I still feel that the initial post is somewhat wrong. And here is why:

The post originally was posted in the MLIFE section. The questions was asked regarding MLIFE. I feel this should have stayed there. Just my opinion. Why????? It had nothing to do with the members that pay the yearly fee or those that are here for free. Please note that I am not being a snob. Far from it. My MLIFE was GIFTED to me and I think we all have stuff to offer…EQUALLY…so please don't attack me as that would be quite and foolish :)

By posting this on the regular forums, just seems to me that Ryan is being called out or is there a different motive going on…. I am not sure. Obviously this subject is divisive and I had in past posts on MLIFE stated that. Sure enough…..here we are. I have been a member since the inception of BPL and to be honest, these kind of threads make me step back and wonder what the hey is going on. Dissapointed……Quite a bit actually.

What did the first part of my post mean…..take a friggen hike. This is not the end of the world. There is a whole world out there to enjoy. Go hike, play baseball, listen to punk rock. Just be! This just makes me more disillusioned

edited because I have had an hours sleep and I am trying to stay awake

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

delete

jeff currey

@currey

Locale: North Central Idaho

So this is my first day posting on backpackinglight, and i came across this thread.
    wow. fun stuff.

regards,
    Jeff Currey

Michael L
    BPL Member

@mpl_35

Locale: NoCo

For y'all complaining about personal info… All the personal stuff was out there already.

Ryan seems to be happy stringing everybody along.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

If Ryan is back it's because he wants something… Oh yes, that's right, I just saw his advertisments plastered all over the page.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools