Topic

Lightweight Trekking Poles

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lightweight Trekking Poles

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I don't like it at all. I don't get pain from using the poles and that little bit of movement adds to instability IMHO. Its just a gimmick with added weight and complexity. I had a single Komperdell hiking staff with the anti-shock that would turn on accidentally, probably because of the round grip and turning the pole. I finally took it apart and epoxied the mechanism so it was always solid.

FYI, I don't like using one pole as much. It is better than none, but I think the uneven loading is bad for your back and shoulder when putting real weight on it.

Reggie
    BPL Member

@regarrett

Locale: Staring off into the sunset.

My favs are from Goldgear.co. David Gardner has some great poles. Graphite, non-adjustable, with baskets and straps or not. I just love them.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I made one from a bamboo shaft, using the hollow bottom to mount the broken end from an aluminum pole, so I had the aesthetic appeal of the bamboo and the carbide tip and basket mount of a modern pole. A little Boy Scout lashing experience made for a loop strap. Unfortunately, it wasn't any lighter than a typical aluminum pole.

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

I prefer twist locks. If I were getting new trekking poles, I would probably go with the Easton Ultralight Carbon 3's.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Marko Botsaris
    BPL Member

@millonas

Locale: Santa Cruz Mountains, CA

". Your retort seemed to be making the assumption that, on a level track, you don't really use your core muscles for stabilization while walking "

I was doing nothing of the sort! But anyway, too OT. (Yes folks, every once in a while I do find something TOO off topic. LOL)

J Phillips
    BPL Member

@backcountry9

Locale: Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park

Purchased the LT4Ss right before doing a trans-Sierra hike of 70 miles. Sometime in the first few days, the carbide tip on one of the poles disappeared (not good in steep granite country). Finished the trip by summiting Whitney and without further issues. GG did eventually warranty the tip. If you purchase GG and they haven't changed their warranty, take the time to go through the multiple pages/locations of the details and UNDERSTAND it… I was less than impressed. On a later day trip, I had the poles up on Long's Peak in CO and snapped a pole- I was definitely in the wrong place (top of The Trough) to have catastrophic gear failure and got lucky in that I didn't fall far and there was no injury. In fairness, I was using the pole for a significant amount of support when it failed. However, I no longer use carbon fiber trekking poles- they are just not durable enough for my tastes and I'd rather have the minor bit of additional weight and the security of being able to count on support if it I need it.

Peter S
    BPL Member

@prse

Locale: Denmark

"I no longer use carbon fiber trekking poles- they are just not durable enough…"

Hi JP

The LT4's are some of the thinnest/lightest carbon trekking poles. There's a lot of carbon trekking poles to choose from on the market, and there's definitely a lot of them that is more sturdy than the LT4's.

Good you didn't hurt yourself

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

Picking up on Dale's comment, carbon vs. aluminum:

> "…they are functionally identical, except that carbon poles are better on salt water beaches. I guess you could debate how each would do in a fall, but I'll decline testing that…"

So, what is the verdict on strength, aluminum vs. CF? If you had a carbon and an aluminum pole of the same weight, the carbon would be stronger in the length dimension, yes? So if forces were loaded straight down the length of the pole, the carbon pole would hold more weight?

What about lateral forces? I've read that the carbon may shatter where the aluminum may bend. Yes?

For any particular material (aluminum or CF) does it stand to reason that a heavier pole is generally sturdier (resistant to breaking or bending) than a lighter pole? Or is it more likely that a heavier pole has the same gauge/diameter of material as a lighter one, but with heavier components (locks, handle, etc)?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Aluminum may bend.
    Then again, it may break.

My son broke one, in two , when it slipped down into a deep crack between boulders, and his feet slipped out from under him on the wet algae covered rocks. Snap.

Thin, hardened aluminum, is brittle. Soft thick aluminum, is not.

J Phillips
    BPL Member

@backcountry9

all good points….. Peter, you are correct. When I got the GG LT4S poles to replace my well seasoned Super Makalu poles, they were very much selected for light weight. A decision that I would not make the same way again.

Delmar – (love the picture, great movie). I would largely agree with your points although MB is also correct- the harder the material, generally the more brittle. I guess nothing is break-proof. I would also point out that my aluminum Makalus are approaching 15 years old, have many miles on them and other than a very annoying 'clack' in one pole (the swage on the fitting at the end of one section is loose) still are very service-able.

Thanks to each of you for helping me continue to think this thing through- I will either purchase another set of Leki's or something else someday!!!

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

You'd think titanium would be the material of choice for trekking poles. The so-called "Leki Micro Variable Ti" poles and the "Leki Micro Stick Titanium" are both aluminum. The "Leki Carbon Ti" poles are carbon fiber. So apparently the NAME titanium is popular, but the metal is not. Wonder why?

J Phillips
    BPL Member

@backcountry9

In a non-word….$$$$$

Very expensive material, difficult to work. I'd guess the market segment for $1K (my wild exaggeration?) trekking poles is small.

but they would be cool!!!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Maybe they refer to the COLOR Titanium, even if they are aluminum or something else.

I have a t-shirt that is the Titanium model, and I would hate to think that it really was metal.

–B.G.–

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

No, I doubt price is the issue. Must be some other reason. Bike frames are made of Ti and while they're more expensive than aluminum, they're usually comparable in price to carbon fiber. Titanium Joe will sell you 12" of either 0.5" or 1" diameter Ti tube for $19, so the amount for material for a pole should be <$80. As far as difficult to work, Ti isn't an issue if you're set up for it, like a mfgr would be. (I wouldn't try making a Ti pole at home, that's for sure._

Here's a ski pole that claims it actually is titanium for $70.

http://www.sunandski.com/Leki_Flex_Lite_Titanium_Ski_Poles_09_p/3451059320905.htm
    http://www.backcountry.com/leki-flex-lite-titanium-ski-pole

Found an old link at REI showing the Leiki FLTSPs at 23 oz. I also see other ski poles in that same range that aren't Ti, so maybe ski poles are heavier?

J Phillips
    BPL Member

@backcountry9

well, I'm at a loss then- I would estimate that titanium, being the material of choice for landing struts on military aircraft, is extremely tough relative to its weight and would thus be a prime material choice for trekking poles. Perhaps aluminum has a property that I've overlooked???

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

The venerable SR71 Blackbird reconnaissance aircraft had a titanium skin and major propulsion components inside all made of forged titanium. It used this to withstand the wildly high temperatures experienced while keeping the weight low. This is sort of the same reason why a backpacker stove might be made of titanium today.

About twenty years ago, when the Soviet fighter jet aircraft industry went into the dumper, lots and lots of titanium got recycled, and that was suddenly seen on the metals market, so it ended up in some backpacker gear that you and I might be carrying today.

–B.G.–

J Phillips
    BPL Member

@backcountry9

maybe that's the key…. "forged"?

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

> well, I'm at a loss then….

Me too. I'm stumped. Now that I can't have Ti poles, I really, really want them.

> Soviet fighter jet aircraft industry went into the dumper, lots and lots of titanium got recycled…

Coooooool. As of now, a 20 mile day is a lot for me. I'll bet with Ti fighter jet poles, I'd be doing 50 miles/day, easy.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Get some poles made from a recycled SR71 Blackbird. It used to be able to knock out about Mach 3. I'm sure that would show up in your trail pace.

–B.G.–

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Please note that the Titanium will be heavier than the aluminum alloy used on trekking poles.

Sometimes overlooked is the quality, as distinguished from the type of the material. I don't find any of the carbon trekking pole vendors advising whether the material is pultruded, wrapped or filament wound. Alloy info is also lacking on the aluminum poles.

We really are at the mercy of the pole manufacturers here, and our best bet may be to rely on the most reputable brands sold by vendors with consumer friendly return policies – the theory being that if they are concerned about their reputation and don't want a lot of returns, the quality will be above average. Admittedly, it's just a theory.

Another theory is that ski poles will be better quality to withstand the high stresses of skiing. Again, just a theory.

So I think we can bat this around forever, but won't get very far with the information that's available.

For trekking, I'm using a Scott Italian made ski pole of aluminum alloy, around 8 oz each (only use one) with extended ribbed grips and a mud basket, and hope it will not fail in the midst of a long trip. I just like this pole for the long grip, and the novel cam upper lock that allows instant length adjustment. However, the lower lock is a pushbutton that will eventually wear out and get loose like they all do.

For day hiking, I would use a lighter carbon pole, like a Locus, because if it breaks, it's much less of a problem; but for day hiking I never feel the need to use a super light pole anyway. The current offerings of the major brands, like Leki, Komperdell and Black Diamond, may be fine also if they have camlocks.

So for the ultra reliability and strength needed for trekking, I don't think we'll see anything super light for some time. It could be done with high quality filament wound carbon fiber or the best aluminum alloys, but would be very expensive and limited to a small niche market that wouldn't be profitable.

Ash Nat
    Spectator

@maritan

These worked great for me. They are cheap ($40!!!), lightweight and have flicklocks. They held up very well to a weekend in the Rockies. From just trekking up hill, to post holing, to setting up my SMD Lunar Solo they were great.

Check these poles out.

Not associated with them in anyway except as a satisfied customer.

ETA: At least two more people in my group used these poles and they came away happy. They are also supposed to be available at Costco, but I bought them online from the link above.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

And the pertinent question – how much do they actually weigh? The website says one pound. That's not bad but not really that good either.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

http://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Carbon-Fiber-Trekking/dp/B007E0ZBZI

One review says "over 7 oz each" and another says "Manufacturers site says each pole weighs right under 8oz".

Note one buyer reports getting them at Costco for $25.

Ash Nat
    Spectator

@maritan

With the strap, but without any of the plastic/ rubber baskets/ feet, it weighs in at 0.93 lbs. Maybe it isn't super duper ultra light, but it withstood a lot of harsh conditions over the last weekend. And the price was right.

If it is indeed available at Costco for $25, it's an even better deal.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 94 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools