Topic

Dehydrated Pulled Pork?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dehydrated Pulled Pork?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Has anyone done so and LIKED it?

With proper seasoning, sauce, and a tortilla I'd have a delicious wrap for the trail!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Btw, I noticed this week that Costco is selling pulled pork in cans, just like the canned chicken and beef already sold. It should dry well like the others do in theory…..

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

The tortillas were toasted on a standard white-gas backpacking stove. When I use an alcohol stove I simply rehydrate the pork mixture and have it wrapped in the tortilla or with rice.

Chipotle Pork with Toasted Tortillas
    A Fork in the Trail © 2008

Dehydration Time: 7 to 12 hours
    Makes 3 to 4 servings

Preparing this dish in a slow cooker keeps the meat moist and tender. Do not use a picnic pork shoulder as it is too salty.

1 small onion, diced
    1/2 teaspoon oregano
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
    1 tablespoon chipotle pepper purée or 1/2 of a chipotle pepper chopped
    14 ounces canned, crushed tomatoes
    8 ounces canned, diced tomatoes, drained
    1 pound boneless pork shoulder
    6 to 8 Flour or corn tortillas
    1” x 1” x 3” piece of Cheddar cheese (optional)

At Home
    Mix all of the ingredients except the meat and place them in the crock of a slow cooker. Trim the pork shoulder of all visible fat and cut it into two pieces. Add the boneless pork shoulder to the slow cooker. Turn the pork in the cooker so that it becomes well coated with the sauce. Cook on high for six hours or until the meat is so tender that you can easily shred it. Don’t remove the lid until the cooking is complete. When the meat is cooked, use two forks to shred it. If any gristle or fat is still present, remove it. Return the shredded meat to the sauce and stir well. Taste to see if more seasoning is required, adding as necessary, and remove the bay leaf.

Measure the pork mixture and write this measurement on a sticky note. Spread the meal on lined dehydrator trays and dry it for 7 to 12 hours. Place the dried mix, along with the sticky note, in a ziplock freezer bag. If you are taking cheese, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the bag with the dried mix. Package the tortillas in a large ziplock freezer bag, separating them with sheets of parchment paper.

At Camp
    Add enough boiling water to the pork mixture in a pan to equal the measurement on your sticky note. Be sure to account for and add your dried ingredients to the rehydration container prior to adding the water. You can always add more water if you need to. Allow it to rehydrate for 20 to 30 minutes or until fully hydrated. Once the mixture is reconstituted, heat it up on a stove, being careful not to burn it. Remove the mixture from the heat and cover it with a lid. Meanwhile, toast several tortillas. Place a generous scoop of the pork mixture on each plate. Garnish with the toasted tortillas and grated cheese as desired.

Tips
    If you don’t have a slow cooker, simmer the ingredients in a heavy pot over low heat for 2 or 3 hours, stirring occasionally.

It is important to allow dried meat more time to come back. If your meat dish doesn’t rehydrate all the way soaking in boiling water, simmer it for a few minutes. I like to use a hard sided container with a screw top and a cozy for rehydrating meats. That also negates the need to reheat.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Many thanks Ladies!

Both of you have put in a lot of time with these endeavors and I thank you for all you do for us on this site!

Todd

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Thanks Todd… It's my pleasure.

Food is a passion for sure and cooking something I enjoy (and I'm sure Sarah is probably of the same mind). I can't help but talk about food. Cooking is one of my passions but we have a love/hate relationship. After I write each book I swear up and down that I am never doing that again… the editing process is tedious and the turnaround on edits tight. It is very hectic… yet here I am on book number three (this latest one will scare the boots off an UL backpacker though – lol).

Sharing my ideas and reading about what others do is fun. Creating meals is such an individual thing and one never stops learning especially when you throw something like backpacking into the mix. I find discussion inspiring too.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

"this latest one will scare the boots off an UL backpacker though – lol"

Boots??? Please, Laurie, trail runners!!! ;-)

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Was just checking to see if you'd notice. I'm surprised that the barefoot/minimalist shoes having hit the UL community yet. I could totally see backpacking in Luna Sandals.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools