Topic

Ultralight knives and multi tools?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Ultralight knives and multi tools?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

>>I had to smile thinking of a altimeter in the Netherlands<<

LOL. Hey when you live at two (maybe three I'm not sure) meters below sea level it's good to know how far I have to swim up in case the d.i.k.e.s.* break. :D

Eins

*hmmm that didn't make the profanity filter. A d.i.k.e is a man made structure to hold back river or sea water so the land protected by that d.i.k.e can be used for farming, living or building trafic jams.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

John Shannon wrote:

"….Wayne mentions a fatality and what could be done. It seems a sharp knife in a water emergency could be dangerous just as with kayaking. I think EMT shears are under-rated. A small version of a gerber river shorty would be interesting or cutting the tip off and rounding out a decent length blade with a partial serrated edge."

There are whole classes of rescue knives with serrated edges and blunt tips. Vitorinox just came out with one that has glow-in-the-dark handles to boot.

If I saw somene trapped in their pack underwater, I think I could manage the risk of cutting them! I read Wayne's reply was a good illustration of just one need for a little more knife for emergency/survival use in the backcountry. Even a mid-sized Swiss Army knife or 2"-3" folding pocket knife would have done the trick in this scenario.

It should be mentioned that you should always unbuckle your waist belt and drop your pack to one shoulder if possible when crossing streams. If crossing with a party, locked-arm techniques work really well too.

John Coyle

@bigsac

Locale: NorCal

Three that I have and like:

1. Gerber Ultralight LST lockblade,(knife only) .6oz, about $19 American, made in Portland Oregon.

2. Gerber LST II lockblade, (knife only) 1.5oz, bought one yesterday at Sports Authority on sale for $15 American, made in Portland Oregon. A little bigger than above and lug on blade for one hand opening.

3. Leatherman Squirt P-4 multitool, 2oz.

You can google any of these to get more info. I tend to prefer a dedicated lockback knife for cutting because the knives on a multitool usually don't lock and can fold up under pressure. I almost cut the tip of my finger off once with a multitool knife that folded under pressure. I taped it back on and luckily it grew back. My own d… fault. (Your program deleted the real word!)

Matthew Smedley

@benchmadepr

Hello all,

I am the Public Relations person for Benchmade Knife Company. As a backpacker myself I stumbled upon this forum and wanted to throw in my two cents.

When I first started working at Benchmade my mind immediately started thinking of which knives would be the best for backpacking. I have actually gone down to multiple REI's and trained their staff at the knife counter on different types of steels, handle materials, strength thresholds and more.

From the Benchmade line there are a few suggestions that I have that fit the bill for both lightweight and high quality:

The 530 Pardue – http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=530

This lil fella is 1.88oz, has high quality and durable 154CM steel (for those of you not familiar with steel this is consider high quality because of the edge that it will maintain, ease of sharpening, semi-stainless steel and strength)

The 10610 Benchmite – http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=10610

The main advantage of this folding knife is that it is even lighter and smaller at 1.60oz. Good quality AUS8 blade steel and a fantastic price point.

The 556 Griptilian – http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=556

This knife was recently featured in the 2007 Backpacker Magazine's Gear Guide. It received some of the highest accolades from the editors and there is a good reason. Combine patented technologies, form, function, durability, reliability and price… then you have this knife. It is not as light as the rest but trust me, adding the extra .80oz will be WELL worth it.

I hope this information helps. Feel free to throw any questions back my way. I would love to answer any questions anyone might have regarding steel, components, handle materials, weight, etc…

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Matthew,
    Thanks for the info. I am aware of the reputation of benchmade knives. They fetch a very high price here in Japan.

Climbers and mountaineers require a knife which locks in the closed position, so the knife has no chance of opening partially or fully, and contacting any of the rope or webbing. Some manufacturers like spyderco do this by closing the blade behind the "O" which the carabiner hooks into. This does not work well with new non-oval cross-section biners. The best solution is to have a thumb-released lock, like on the little gerbers at REI (which I bought)

If benchmade does not already make such a knife, please suggest it; and call it the "climber's.." something or other.., so we may readily identify it and buy it.
    Yeah, and make it weigh about what one biner weighs, 1 1/2 oz.
    Thanks.

Brett .

@brett1234

The altimeter knife has a pen? Or did I misunderstand. That would be nice.
    I carry an old victorinox also, as my 'kitchen' tool; as well as my leatherman S4 on my keychain.

david fausnight

@rckjnky

Brett, The benchmite II that Matthew pointed out does lock both open and cloesed. It weights 1.6 oz and sells for $35. It might be just right for you.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Matthew Smedley (BenchmadePR) said:

"I am the Public Relations person for Benchmade Knife Company. As a backpacker myself I stumbled upon this forum and wanted to throw in my two cents."

Thanks for that great selection. There are so many designs and steel types and variations that it can be overwhelming to sort it all out.

Benchmade really does a great job. The Griptilian(s) are on my wish list for sure. I think both the folding and fixed blade "Grips" are one of those classic designs where all the sweet spots came together. Heheh– I will be HAPPY to field test Benchmade knives any time!

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

Brett,

>>The altimeter knife has a pen?<<

Yep! And it has the toothpick and tweezers of course and, if you know where to find it, a pin as well.

I'll make some pictures now, though my webcam is a bit low res.

Here's the Altimeters side:

side of Alti

On the left you see a white-ish thingy: the tooth pick; and the greyish thingy that's the pen

On the right one greyish thingy which are the tweezers.

In the next picture you can see (sort of) the pen and pin sticking out. I put a square around the pine otherwise you might miss it:

Alti pen and needle 1

This last picture shows the pin and pen next to the knife:

Alti pen and needle 2

Eins

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Jaiden .

@jaiden

I dug out my multitool mentioned above and found it online:

http://www.eknifeworks.com/webapp/eCommerce/product.jsp?Mode=Brand&Brand=25&A=&SKU=PC2875
    (out of stock, but google for "coast micro-fish tool" and you'll find other places that have it)

It's 2 oz and even has a tiny saw. Mine came with a retractable cord thing

Matthew Smedley

@benchmadepr

The only knives in our current lineup that lock open AND closed are our automatic knives. I'm not sure of how the laws work for automatics for where you are but our automatic AXIS® knives are great because they are not a push button. The great part of the AXIS mechanism is that it is ambidextrous so the user can open with either hand. Not only that, but with standard push button automatic knives if the spring fails within the automatic opening device the knife is rendered useless. If the spring fails in the automatic AXIS the knife still works as a manual folding knife and the lock can still function keeping the blade open or closed.

Thanks for the input everyone!

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Denis. Nice tool. Pretty impressive for 1 oz! One thing tho'… you mention that you carry it in your first aid kit. Where do you carry your first aid kit? In you pack? There are a few things I NEVER put in my pack… knife, lighter/fire starter and led light and whistle. They go in pockets or on a lanyard that I keep tucked into my shirt. If you were to ever take a tumble or somehow lose your pack… you'd want a few essentials to stay on your person.

John Hopkins

@drgonzo

Locale: Southeast

I think what it really gets down to is:
    What do you really need?
    Since nothing I carry has any screws or nuts, that rules out the screwdrivers. The only reason I would need pliers is to untie knots (poorly tied or frozen) but I would rather tie good knots (as far as using pliers as tweezers, most are not that good). That just leaves me with scissors and an all-purpose knife blade. I would like to see a good locking knife with a good pair of scissors that fold out of the handle.

Brett .

@brett1234

Einstein, NICE; a knife with a pen.. Currently I rely on the Fisher space pen in my my wallet, but I often thought the refils were small enough to carry elsewhere. Good combo.

David, I agree, some essentials in the pockets. For me it is Doug Ritters survival kit, space blanket, and a knife. Probably never need it, but an ounce of prevention….

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

David,

Whether day-hiking or backpacking, I carry a small ditty bag with me at all times. It contains (from the bottom to the top): A length of "parachute" cord. (Length varies as I cut off a piece to use now and again). First-Aid kit. A square of pack towel. A small roll of 2", breatable athletic tape. A small Nalgene tube of Bag Balm. Lip Balm. A ziplok baggie of tiny bags of drugs (Tylenol, Benadryl, Imodium, Electrolyte tabs, Pepcid AC, etc.), Extra matches in ziplok, Petzel headlamp, and Blister treatment stuff. It weighs more than I like but has served me well, for the past 21 years, while leading hikes and hiking solo. I used to carry Purelle in there too but, since making a Titanium, multi-use ,super ultra lite, "pottery" Trowel, I now carry the Purelle in a silnylon bag with the PT, TP and handy wipes.

Ditty Bag 1
    Silnylon Ditty BagDitty Bag 2
    Ditty Bag Contents

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Baladeo 22g knife, weighs 23g
    The Baladeo "22 gram knife", weighing in at 23g

The Opinel #8, Stainless, at 46grams
    The Opinel #8, stainless, at 46 grams

The Boker AntiGrav at 58 grams
    The Boker Anti Grav, ceramic bladed folder, at 58 grams

mik matra
    BPL Member

@mikmik

Locale: Brisbane AUSTRALIA

I've thinking of this knife/multi tool issue for a bit. I don't need half the stuff for daily affairs in the wilderness and am thinking that pliers a good knife and maybe a flat blade screw driver is really all that is needed. In an emergancy however I guess you want options. I got a small light pliars based multitool but the blade is almost uselessly small and out of the entire multitool set it's the knife that I have ever used….to sharpen the end of a fresh stick to bake marshmellows with. I think most items on a multitool are a waste of time and weight.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

A mora #2 is an extremely lightweight knife, considering it can split kindling, carve a spoon, fillet a fish, or fight off a bear-shark. Under 3 oz.
    I would never even consider a folding knife.

Zorg Zumo

@burnnotice

Here are info sources you might find helpful
    https://sites.google.com/site/hobbyhintstricksideas/Home/back-country-safety#TOC-The-Evolution-of-Gear

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoQc7C_jF-8

Google 'Havalon Piranta' – a better mousetrap IMO.

I always have my Leatherman Squirt with me.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Justin

Have you tried the shorter full tang Mora Classic #2/0 or #1? How would you compare them if so?

TIA!

KJ

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Ken, I missed your post.
    I can't remember if I have the #1 or #2, but it's the longer of the 2. It's a little too long, I am probably going to get the shorter one soon. I'm talking about the red wooden handled ones here.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I have carried a Victronix Classic for many, many years. Last couple of years usually just a razor blade ala Clelland. The only thing I usually use with the classic is the scissors, they do what a knife blade can do but often better.

I have at least a dozen multi-tools given to me as gifts over the decades. I have never taken one a trip.

Even in the old days of external frame packs and metal hardware, I never had a need for anything other than a knife blade.

God bless marketing departments.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

If you knife is under 3oz, I'm guessing it's actually the Mora Classic 1. I believe that knife weighs in at 2.8oz and has a 3/4 length epoxied tang. Is it 100mm or a 110mm blade?

I just picked up a Mora Classic 2/0 with full pressure fit tang. I'm yet to put it through it's paces. It's a little on the small side (the handle more so than the blade), but I think it should work out good. It weighs in at 1.8oz with a 75mm blade that's thicker than the Classic 1 or 2.

I have some shots of it in this thread I created: Link

KJ

Brian Johns
    BPL Member

@bcutlerj

Locale: NorCal

I switched to a classic only a year or two back and it didn't last long. The trouble came with hard dried salamis. I always take this item and the SAK classic just takes too long to chop up the salami, it's not much better with a large block of dry-ish cheese either. I still carry the classic for the scissors and if I want to do a quick overnighter sans salami, but I really like having a real knife in case a tent or hiking pole breaks or I need to whittle an extra stake. Not to mention cleaning fish, etc.

My favorite? the uber-light Gerber Harsey Air Ranger. It's about $40 and weighs 2.6 oz. It will come in right at or under two once you remove the heavy SS clip. Here's a stock pic I found online. This knife is well balanced and just feels right in the hand. Cannot recommend enough.

Gerber Air Ranger

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools