Topic

Trailrunners cause knee problems?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trailrunners cause knee problems?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Justice Baker
    BPL Member

@jkokbaker

Locale: Central Oregon

I wore the superfeet today but my arches are sore, should I try a few more days or try the next step down?

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

As with any orthotic, if your feet aren't use to an arch they have to loosen and stretch out a bit.

Typically the recommendation is 4 hours a day then 6, then 8 etc.

YMMV

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

Even Superfeet themselves will tell you (I think its also right in the literature in the box when you buy them — we all read that right away I'm sure ….I'm kidding – nobody else is that crazy – just me) because you arches will need to adjust to the new support — they recommend 30 minutes a day for 2 weeks to allow adequate time to have your arch become accustomed to the insole. I have used mine for 3,000 plus miles of backpacking in the last 2 years, as well as years of trail and road running and racing. It is also a good idea to pack the original insoles in your pack (the eva foam ones – very light) and switch then into your shoes while in camp if you feel like you want some time out of the insoles while you hike.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Frankly if you have pronation problems I doubt that Superfeet are going to help long term. At least that's been my experience. And I like Superfeet! The initial cost of a custom orthotic is high, but they last for years and more importantly are molded quite specifically for your feet.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I dont know if they can CAUSE knee problems.

However, the faster pace, and longer mileage days possible with light wt runners and a light pack may very well cause issues that previously went undetected to become noticable.

Be sure to compare apples to apples.

I have gotten pains around knee that are similar to overuse injuries, tendonitis, etc. Usually on inside of knee. It comes and goes sometimes. One minute I may not be able to take a step without pain, 10 min later when knee warms up it never felt better.

Seems to be brought on after a few long days, lots of climbs with short , choppy, incomplete steps.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

I used merrel Moab mids for years. No knee issues. I was determined to get away from boots, so I tried sportiva wildcats, montrail mountain masochists, and even merrell Moab lows, and I had horrible knee pain each time, forcing me to switch back to my Moab mids. I used the same orange superfeet insoles each time.
    It sucks. I want to ditch boots, but the result is always the same. Trail runners=knee pain. Merrel mids=no pain, but heavy.
    If you find trail runners that don't cause this problem let me know as I'm still determined to find a set that work for me.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

There are many folks here using all kinds of trail runners without knee pain.

The style of shoe is not the issue.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

^ exactly what I said in my first post, "trail runners don't cause knee pain" – if you are getting knee pain while using trail runners there are underlying issues that should be addressed; if they can't be addressed and boots relieve the knee pain- then that is pretty easy :)

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Ken,

Look beyond the "different volume shoes." as you say.

Look at the "trim to fit" insoles for running and walking (read for "athletic shoes") on the link you provided. These are the ones we're talking about. Then look at the indiviual product descriptions where it is clearly stated that the color code is for the type of arch and thus also the amount of support provided.

Kevin J

@kevinj

Jennifer (I would PM but you aren't setup):
    You offered information on exercises for Patellofemoral syndrome. Do you have any you can recommend for IT band issues? Since getting orthotics from my podiatrist I can now go about 5-6mi in a day vs 1mi, but afterwards my knee needs a good long rest (12-16 hours). My pain is on the outside of my right knee pretty much exclusively. I find myself rolling my feet to the outside edges when standing around for what it is worth. From what I understand, walking/running/standing on the outsides of your feet can lead it IT band issues in general. Any recommendations for exercises or anything else for that matter?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Dave G
    BPL Member

@dapperdave

Kevin,

In case Jennifer doesn't get back to you, I've had ITB syndrome in the past and have found "Walt Reynolds ITB Special" to be really helpful:

http://onemillionruns.blogspot.co.uk/2006/10/walt-reynolds-itb-special.html

I wouldn't recommend it when your ITB is flaring up badly, but as a rehab/strengthening exercise it really hits the button, as it strengthens the muscles in a running functional way and importantly, as you fatigue, you get to "feel" the muscles that stabilise your hip through the stance phase of the running cycle; this helps to activate the nerve connections in the right way, so that when you run they stop your hip moving to the outside which puts your weight on the outside of your foot.
    Do the exercise on both sides, which will stop the problem changing sides as you increase mileage after recovery, and continue to do the exercise for a while after you are pain free.

Running wise, try to avoid cambers while you build up strength and limit your distance so that you stop as soon as (or preferably before) the inflammation starts, over time you'll be able to increase your distance.

Hope it goes well,

Dave

Kevin J

@kevinj

David: Thank you, that looks perfect! I'll start tonight.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools