Topic

General kit

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists General kit

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

I've obsessed over this list for a good while now and think it's finally coming together. Maybe a fresh pair of eyes can help me sort out the finer points of weight cutting.
    For general 3 season trips in Colorado, temps above freezing.

Let's assume right off the bat that big purchases are out of the question. I know I could drop weight with a new pack, but the budget just isn't there.

Google doc link to spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-6S39AMVB88WGkzTGdocGdSNUE

Edited cell misalignment in spreadsheet
    7/10/12 Edit: made doc public, but is outdated, see below for accurate one

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Daniel,

Good list. I'm not sure if the clothing you have listed as "not usually taken" is adding to the total weight or not. No big deal on this general spreadsheet, but something to watch if you are trying to make a specific trip list. Also, the "1st Aid Kit" line also lists "MYOG + Windscreen" that you might want to fix.

As far as gear:

Jam 70L: a great pack that can carry well for an overnighter or multi-day trip. If it fits, keep it and don't worry about the weight.

I see the most potential for weight loss in your cookset and stove. The GSI Pinnacle Soloist kit is heavy for solo, especially if all you are doing is heating water and not cooking in the pot. There are some other options that aren't that expensive and fall around 3-5 oz. It might be a good idea to try an alcohol or esbit stove on a overnight trip sometime, just to see if those will work for you (probably not right now in Colorado though!).

I don't see any baselayer or insulation for your legs. Not sure you need it, but a pair of wool or lycra tights can be nice to have, especially in CO and with a 30* bag.

Otherwise, you can slowly lose a little weight here-and-there by replacing items with lighter weight items when something wears out. For example (and I don't think that 10+ oz pants need replacing, just picking an example), when the Redington pants wear out and you need to spend money anyway, you can then focus on weight for a new pair.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

It seems that maybe my spreadsheet isn't as intuitive as I thought. :)

Anything with a '0' in the #taken column is not counted in the weight,I wrote formulas in the sheet to auto tally and such. The 'not usually taken' denotation is stuff for non-normal trips- extra clothes, softshell, etc. Notice the 0's for #Taken and weight. I should have just erased them to avoid confusion.

The Worn/Carried section is maybe misleading to some- thats junk on my body and in my pockets. Not included in any weight total, and not really open for debate about weight loss.
    The only clothes in my pack are in the 'Carried Clothes' section: 4oz shorts, 1pr extra socks, L/S shirt, windshirt and Down Sweater.
    I probably *should* put back in my baselayer bottoms, I find myself unpacking each trip and finding them in my pack, forgotten and unused. Still, maybe better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately the stove stays. It's heavy, even for canister stove standards, but the weight includes a rather sizable and well performing windscreen to maximize efficiency, plus the weight of a lighter, so 7 oz is kinda misleading when just labeled "stove".
    Were I anywhere else, I would almost certainly use the 2oz MYOG etOH stove I have but that's just not an option I'm comfortable with here in CO. Many places it's just short of explicitly forbidden.

Yeah, the Cookset needs some work. I could lose about 5oz with a Stanco Greaspot and lid, losing the cup and taking a plastic Wendy's Frosty spoon, but I just don't like that option for some reason. Plus I like my morning tea, so I need a cup. Ti is out, I still cook a bit when I want more than re-hydrated mashed potatoes and jerky.
    I agree, I want to both have and eat my metaphorical cake. I guess that's the reason my kitchen is last piece of hold-over gear from my 'traditional' kit.

Brian Lindahl
    BPL Member

@lindahlb

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Link doesn't seem to work for me? It 404's. Make sure you post the 'Public Link'.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Not sure how/why I undid access to the OP gearlist.
    Since posting that, I've made some minor changes and added in missing gear:
    Swapped GSI pinnacle soloist cookset for an Open Country 3C pot setup. Right now I'm using the included 1.2 oz lid, and a 1.2oz pot lifter. Not sure what configuration these will remain in. Maybe a making a turkey pan foil lid, and cutting down the lifter.
    Added my cocoon pillow in to the list.
    Added in the description of my MYOG windscreen. the weight was there, just not listed.
    Added in DriDucks rain gear.
    Added in silkweight base bottoms.

More accurate list:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-6S39AMVB88NllQc2hYemNtTWs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools