Topic

Lake Reflection -> Forester Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Lake Reflection -> Forester Pass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

I am heading up to Lake Reflection from East Lake then continuing on the JMT southbound. I was looking at going up to East Lake, junction meadow, then doing the JMT….. or I was looking at possibly just making it more direct from Lake Reflection to Forester. On my map there seems to be an oddly marked trail essentially through Mt Ericsson and onto Forrester. Does anyone have any familiarity with getting from Lake Reflection to Forester Pass who could help me out?

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Does anyone have any familiarity with getting from Lake Reflection to Forester Pass who could help me out?"

You could go from Lake Reflection up into the Kern Basin via either Milly's Foot Pass, Lucy's Foot Pass, or Harrison Pass. Milly's is class 3, Lucy's is class 2-3 with a reputation for dangerously loose rock; Harrison is class 2 and by far the easier of the three. All are off trail and strenuous. Coming off Harrison Pass you can pick up the trail from Lake South America to the JMT/Kern connector trail and from there it is about a half mile to the JMT. Turn north and you will be at Forester Pass in a couple of hours or so, or you can continue south if you are looking to get to Mt Whitney or points south.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Thanks Ouzel. Sorry but my map doesn't mark anything as Kern Basin. Trying to put your words into my map, does that mean to keep north of Ericsson Crags & Mt. Ericsson, keeping south along the mountains but not over them to pass those two water bodies (kidney bean shaped, and pac-man shaped), to get to Harrison Pass, which I'd assume won't be labeled but will be south of the next body of water? This I take it will take me to whatever trail goes east, running south of Gregory's Monument and onto Forester Pass?

Is there a trail there leading to Forester or is it sort of a by sight thing?

I could totally see going to Lake South America and on to the trail that way (great suggestion!), but I was hoping to visit Forester Pass.

There's essentially a shown path on my JMT maps that goes through Thunder mtn., Mt. Jordan, Mt Geneva, Mt Ericsson, and onto Forrester pass. It seems perfect for my purposes but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with it.

Thanks for the advice I'll totally be taking Harrison Pass if it'll let me to Forester rather than Lucy's or Milly's.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I can't answer very well now. Ask me again in late August.

I plan on going from East Lake to Lake Reflection, then back down and east, then south over Harrison Pass to Lake South America, then around the corner to the JMT. From there, I turn and go north over Forester Pass. If Harrison is impassable for some reason, then Lucy's Foot Pass is the backup, but that will detour me for a day. Little Joe Pass is another one.

I don't think that you want to go directly from Harrison Pass to Forester Pass, not unless you are R. J. Secor. By the way, his book is the authority on this sort of stuff.

Remember that there are two Junction Meadows in this same general area, one along Bubbs Creek, and one over on the Kern River.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Sorry but my map doesn't mark anything as Kern Basin. Trying to put your words into my map, does that mean to keep north of Ericsson Crags & Mt. Ericsson, keeping south along the mountains but not over them to pass those two water bodies (kidney bean shaped, and pac-man shaped), to get to Harrison Pass, which I'd assume won't be labeled but will be south of the next body of water? This I take it will take me to whatever trail goes east, running south of Gregory's Monument and onto Forester Pass?"

Michael,

The Kern Basin refers to the drainage of the Kern River, south of the Kings Kern Divide. To get to Forester Pass from Lake Reflection descend the trail from Lake Reflection back to East Lake about 1/2 mile. There is an unmarked trail that leads east along a creek up to the small unnamed lake directly below and slightly NE of Ericsson Crags. Continue east up the valley between Mt Ericsson and Deerhorn Mountain and curl around to the south below Mt Stanford until you come to a broad, talus filled gully that leads up to Harrison Pass. There are a couple of strenuous moves at the top, but it is all class 2. If there is ice, it will be another matter entirely, but I suspect that will not be the case this year. Once over the pass descend about 1 mile south to Lake South America and follow the trail south 2.2 miles to the Upper Kern Cutoff Trail. Then turn left(east) and follow that trail .7 miles down to the JMT. Turn left and follow the JMT north to Forester Pass, 4.7 miles. I am using the notation and distances given on the Tom Harrison Mt Whitney High Country trail map. It is all the map you will need for this section of your trip. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Tom

"Is there a trail there leading to Forester or is it sort of a by sight thing?"

See above narrative.

"There's essentially a shown path on my JMT maps that goes through Thunder mtn., Mt. Jordan, Mt Geneva, Mt Ericsson, and onto Forrester pass. It seems perfect for my purposes but I was wondering if anyone has had experience with it."

There is no such trail to my knowledge, and I am very familiar with that area. Could you give me the name of the map?

"Thanks for the advice I'll totally be taking Harrison Pass if it'll let me to Forester rather than Lucy's or Milly's."

It will definitely get you there far more easily, and safely, that either Milly's or Lucy's.

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

I'm an idiot. My "trail" was the kings kern divide, which was sensibly divided by the tops of mountain peaks…. so not a trail.

Thank you guys for the wonderful advice. I was commenting today that this forum and its members are the best forum I've found (and I'm an I.T. guy) for one stop answers. There is just SUCH a deep knowledge base among you guys. Thanks! I have my answers.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

[Harrison Pass] "It will definitely get you there far more easily, and safely, that either Milly's or Lucy's."

Ever been on Little Joe Pass? It is a little west of Lucy's Foot Pass, a little around the corner. It looks like a good way to get up to the crest. Unfortunately, that spot on the crest doesn't line up for the rest of the aim toward Lake South America or something.

–B.G.–

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Ever been on Little Joe Pass? It is a little west of Lucy's Foot Pass, a little around the corner."

Cola Vaughan mentioned it in a post last year. I'm not familiar with it, but will be in the area this August and intend to check it out. Let me know what you find if you get there first.

"It looks like a good way to get up to the crest. Unfortunately, that spot on the crest doesn't line up for the rest of the aim toward Lake South America or something"

Not directly, but it would be very easy to traverse over from there to Lake South America and continue on your way east, if that is the direction you are headed. It would also be very easy hiking from there south to pick up the Upper Kern Cutoff Trail and then go east. It is slightly longer, but would give you an opportunity to visit Thunder and Milestone Basins. Both are beautiful places, well worth exploring. As a gifted photographer, I think you would find them both well worth the detour.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"I'm not familiar with it, but will be in the area this August and intend to check it out. Let me know what you find if you get there first."

If you get there first, you chalk a yellow line on the ground. If I get there first, I'll rub it out.

My problem is figuring out how wide of a wide angle lens to bring. An extra pound of glass is a lot.

There is a web site at Climber.Org that has a huge number of trip reports from the peak baggers. So, for anybody who gets desperate for trail information or climbing information, it is one place to look.

–B.G.–

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools