Topic

Cartridge Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Cartridge Pass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Has anybody been up over Cartridge Pass lately? I'm interested in knowing if the old JMT dropping from the pass down into the canyon of the South Fork of the Kings River is still hikeable. Also best area for river crossing. I'm on a limited timeline and don't have any to waste on dead ends.

Thanks,

Tom

Dave T

@davet

1. Tom, this belongs in Pre-Trip Planning.

2. Huh?!!! You are the guy WE all go to for every darn answer about the High Sierra. #shakentofoundations

:)

Anonymous
    Inactive

"1. Tom, this belongs in Pre-Trip Planning."

Ooooops. My bad. I've never been one to get the protocol right. Can it be transferred?

"2. Huh?!!! You are the guy WE all go to for every darn answer about the High Sierra. #shakentofoundations"

It is said that in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king. Since I've never been able to get that one good eye more than half open, you've been taking a helluva chance listening to me. ;)

joseph peterson

@sparky

Locale: Southern California

I dont have first hand knowledge, but I do know people still use it.

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

The trail over Cartridge Pass is still mostly usable. Deeply eroded on the south side, but no route finding difficulties. But the exit down to the S Fork Kings? That was an overgrown bushwhack 40 years ago. I can't imagine what it is like today. It may be possible to parallel the old route above the willows and manzanita on the north side of the creek, but haven't seen (ever) anyone write about following that route.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"But the exit down to the S Fork Kings? That was an overgrown bushwhack 40 years ago. I can't imagine what it is like today. It may be possible to parallel the old route above the willows and manzanita on the north side of the creek, but haven't seen (ever) anyone write about following that route."

HI Steven – By chance, I ran across a guy who had just come down Cartridge Pass and up the South Fork Kings River on the north side when I was going in over Taboose Pass last month. There is a faint use trail that saves most of the bushwhacking, but you have to negotiate 3 ~200 yard talus fields along the way that are inconvenient but no big deal. He said the main problem was figuring out which of the numerous tracks down thru the forest duff was the correct trail. He ended up concluding it didn't much matter, just pick one and go for it. He did say, however, that it was really steep. I hope to find out for myself in early September.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools