Topic

Boil-rated bags for rehydrating

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Boil-rated bags for rehydrating

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michelle A
    BPL Member

@mauhler31

I'm interested in repackaging the Mountain House meals in order to cram more food into the bear canister. I've read about using the ziploc freezer bags but my group is wary about using bags that do not specifically say that boiling water can be poured into them. Does anyone have any suggestions on what bags work?

I'm thinking about using the cook-in-bags at packitgourment, but I don't know if those will save much space compared to the MH bags. Next up are the packitgourment boilable bags, but since those don't have a zipper, I'm not sure if the contents will easily spill out while being squished in the bear canister. Would a twist tie or rubber band be sufficient to keep the bag closed?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Turkey bags

Use zip ties or tie them in a knot

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Microwave cooking bags. Just be careful of the tiny vent at the top.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

While freezer bags work fine (name brand and made in the US of course) if you want the thicker bags, go to Packitgourmet.com, they sell those bags specifically. Twist tie bags? Not worth it. It will spill. ANY clear bag is smaller than commercial meal bags.

But let me point out that if you are eating commercially made meals the ingredients are scarier than the bags. Really.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools