Topic

Malamute rescued after fall off steep Gorge trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Malamute rescued after fall off steep Gorge trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I don't have a dog, but this seems relevant to so many hikers here on BPL.

It does seem like at least one dog per year falls off a trail in the Gorge:

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Dog-rescued-after-200-foot-fall-in-Gorge-160680795.html

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

At least he's home safe. That trail looks nasty. One mistake and you're dead.

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

I leave my dog at home when I hike that trail for that reason. That dog is lucky to have survived.gorge

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Despite prominent signs showing that leashes are required, there are probably more unleashed dogs per mile of the Eagle Creek Trail than on any other Columbia River Gorge trail. The media didn't say if this particular dog was leashed or not. With a leash, at least you can keep the dog away from the edge!

After the last time I was on this trail (two years ago), I refuse to take my dog on it any more. Having an unleashed friendly dog come up to greet my leashed dog resulted in the leash wrapped around my legs several times, a bit scary in such surroundings. Then later that same day my dog was bitten by a dog belonging to some idiot who never bothered to control their dog and didn't bother to apologize, either. Fortunately it wasn't serious. But I'm off that trail for good. Too bad, because it's definitely the most scenic of all the Gorge trails. It's also one of the most crowded after Multnomah Falls.

BTW, that trail is wider than it looks in the photo! Note also the cables to hold onto for those who are acrophobic.

Suggested way to hike the Eagle Creek trail: start at the crack of dawn, and hike maybe a mile above Twister Falls (the falls just above the more famous Tunnel Falls), which is where the mobs turn around. Time how long it took you to get there. Take a good book and a sleeping mat. Spend the day reading and sleeping. Time your departure to get back to the trailhead just before dark. You'll be ahead of most of the crowds going up and behind them coming back.

As a variant, backpack the Eagle Creek trail to Wahtum Lake, again leaving at the crack of dawn. Return via the PCT and Ruckel Creek trails, which are delightfully uncrowded.

Oh, and hope that your car hasn't been broken into; the trailhead parking lot is the worst for car-clouting in the whole Gorge. The Forest Service recommends parking down the road at the fish hatchery or close to the campground host. In any case, leave nothing (of value or otherwise) in your car.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I agree, that picture doesn't show how narrow that trail is at places : )

I can just cling to the cable, but then if someone's coming the other way, one of us has to let go of the cable.

Mid week in the winter it's pretty nice – need traction devices if it's icy.

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

Last time I hiked that trail I left on a sunday, spent sunday night up around the 8 mile mark and hiked out on monday to avoid the crowds. I've also looped up to the lake via the Herman Creek trail and out the EC trail. Hiked that trail plenty of times and fortunately never had my car broken into.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools