Topic

joann fabrics and a sleeping quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear joann fabrics and a sleeping quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    James Dieffenwierth

@shorembo

Locale: SWFLA

I want to replace a 2.5 lb mummy bag with a light sleeping quilt (for summer hiking). I recently was in Joann Fabrics and saw they had ripstop.

Is ripstop OK for a light sleeping quilt?

Also, what about the stuffing material? Would they have appropriate stuff?

What I am trying to end up with is a very low-cost ($20?) hiking quilt with material I can get from Joann Fabrics (and there nicenice discout coupons).

Michael Duke

@mpd1690

They would not have adequate stuffing. The ripstop is not that great either. I haven't seen it in a while, but you can get much nicer material online for the same price or cheaper.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

James,

I have no experience with the materials at JoAnn's but I have done what you are suggesting with ripstop and batting from Hancock's.

What I can suggest is the following.

This will be about as cheap as it can be for an "ultralight quilt".

Keep in mind that I can't guarantee the temperature rating.

Order 5 yards of 1.1oz Ripstop Nylon, 2nds from D.I.Y. Gear Supply at $3.20 per yard.

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/products-page/breathable-fabrics/

For insulation consider 6 oz per square yard 100% polyester quilt batting from your local fabric supply shop for roughly $12.00.

The kind I am describing is available on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Polyester-Quilt-Batting-Full-Size-X96/dp/B004ALV78Y

I found mine on a bulk roll in my local Hancock's.

Not accounting for draw cords, thread or other "hardware" your total should be around $28.00 for the above materials.

I made my first quilt in a similar fashion with bulk 6 oz polyester batting off a roll in my local fabric shop. I did not stitch or tie the quilt anywhere except around its perimeter. It kept me warm into the high 40's using a single layer of batting. It weighed in at somewhere around 1 pound 5 ounces as I recall.

It is not the lightest option but I think it certainly is the cheapest that I know of at the moment.

I hope this helps.

Party On,

Newton

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

Hi James:

The ripstop at your local Jo-Ann's is 1.9 oz — it's fine stuff, but you'll do better with the 1.1 oz from backwoods daydreamer. Great small business, cheap materials, and quick shipping — Get good insulation for your quilt — it's more than worth the extra 20-30 dollars you'll invest, and if you end up making frankenquilt or wanting something different later, you can re-use good insulation.

good luck with your project!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Instead of using the cheap fabric and batting from Joann's and. Purchase your ripstop breath able nylon and climasheild from Outdoor wilderness fabric for just a few dollars more and you will have light weight more durable quilt. They have down proof 30 d breathable ripstop for $8.52 a yard , climasheild starts at 13.95 yard you should only need 2.5 yards.
    http://www.owfinc.com/fabrics.html

Or buy the Golite RS-3 quilt for $79.95 and sign up for the golite mailing list get a 20 % off coupon and pay $63.95 for a great quilt.
    http://www.golite.com/RS-3-Season-Quilt-Long-P875.aspx
    Terry

James Dieffenwierth

@shorembo

Locale: SWFLA

Thanks for the info…the http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com website looks great for the ripstop. It should make it cheap enough for a first project like this.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

The reason I ask is it may be cheaper to purchase a GI poncho liner (~22 oz) and then cut it down and sew grosgrain around the edges to make a tapered quilt shape (they're oversized for a top quilt out of the box at ~5 ft x ~7 ft). You could probably shave ~6 or even ~8 oz if you're willing to chop away and resew the edges. I find them really comfy down into the low 40s, but I'm a rather warm sleeper (I've successfully taken one as low as freezing on the ground and not been totally uncomfortable); most folks would find them comfortable in the mid-40s to low-50s.

That being said, if you want something that'll be good cooler than that, I highly recommend Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics for cheap, good insulation and tolerably cheap fabric (DIY Gear Supply has the edge in cost/weight on fabric, though the shipping costs on ordering from two different places might negate the savings). Climashield is easy as pie to use; if you can sew a straight (or even semi-straight) line, you can work with it.

Hope it helps!

Jordan Clymer

@jordanclymer

Locale: The Columbia Gorge

http://www.amazon.com/Adventure-Medical-Kits-Heatsheets-Emergency/dp/B000WXX0JS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341108901&sr=8-1&keywords=emergency+bivvy

I think you should take this under consideration, it isn't a MYOG experience, but it is certainly a superior 'quilt' in fair weather. I've use one quite regularly on trips. They are also pretty cheap, and include a stuff sack. =)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools