Topic

Fritos as fire starter

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Fritos as fire starter

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Just be sure to use them without any dip!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I've played around with the concept myself, mainly to provide a little funky shock-and-awe to my mates when starting a camp fire while truck camping. I mix an alcohol-based hand sanitizer (Purell) 50-50 with Everclear to boost the alcohol content, and squirt a bit into a Scoop, light it, then add a few more Scoops around the edge. Then just add tiny kindling. It works like a charm, and it is guaranteed to impress the 8-year olds.

But if I really want to dazzle them, I set up the fire first, complete with tiny kindling at the base, then arranging the correct configuration of wood in increasing diameters on top. Then, I use a Snow Peak blow torch to set the kindling on fire. Noisy, effective, and impressive–an instant camp fire. It's a good use of nearly empty 110 g. canisters.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools