Topic

Since it has been a while, back to a familiar topic: UL camp shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Since it has been a while, back to a familiar topic: UL camp shoes

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Tim Cleary

@hempstead

Locale: Lost

First of all, it seems like this topic comes up about once a year, so I wanted to throw out my new effort on this front. (I'll put links to the most relevant BPL threads below).

Anyway, I try to make it a point to try at least one new thing on every backpacking trip. I was looking at my 300 mile AT section hike gear list from last summer and just can't believe that I carried crocs at close to a pound the whole time. So here was my idea for lightweight:

shower shoes
    http://www.brucemedical.com/noshsl.html

These are basically shower safety shoes. I have heard about folks using Sprint Aquatics, which may be very similar, but these seem to have a slightly substantive sole that could serve as decent camp shoes. Mesh allows feet to dry out. I did try out my MYOG blue CCF sandals last summer but they were super slippery and I ended up discarding them quickly. Anyone has anyone had experience/ suggestions on this front? I am looking for 1 oz/pair, if I can't get that I'll just go the true UL route and carry nothing in this category…

Previously on BPL….

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=46709

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=23367

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=43150&skip_to_post=367485

Angela Alexander

@crayon

I have not heard of these- but at $15, they maybe worth a try.

I war my 5-fingers for hiking and they would be no big deal around a campfire or at night- but these, for 1oz maybe a good deal to let the 5-fingers dry up- or if you have to do a quick slip on at night- getting 5 toes to go where they need to can be tricky!

I only wonder if they get dusty or sand/dirt in the mesh? But then again, you are not hiking in them- so does it matter? – no –

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

This has been a long quest for me…seeking a camp and river fording shoe/sandal that is really light weight, robust enough to handle strong currents and rocks, and that doesn't retain water and dries quickly.

My current solution:vivo

vivobarefoot ultra purevivo on scale

these are size 7.

they could be cut down a bit, with a shorter, lighter cord and less bulky toggle (or none at all)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Ultra pures 3.7 oz apiece.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Just finished the yardwork and cleaning the garage. I take a certain degree of pride in blisters, cuts, and calluses.

No camp shoes necessary.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

The problem with the above mesh shoes is how cold they might be on a chilly night. Can you at least wear a dry sock inside them? Probably depends on how big you buy them. But then being mesh, you'd end up with lots of pine needles and twigs stuck in the socks!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I bought a pair of the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pures on the way to a weekend backpacking trip in Dolly Sods. Fell in love with them. Very light, great walking in a sometimes fast-moving stream (very good traction) and dry in a second. I used them as camp shoes and for a walk up (in) the river after making early camp. I'll take them on every trip from now on.

Tim Cleary

@hempstead

Locale: Lost

On the viva whatevers. I will check those out. I'll go ahead and give my shower shoes a try and report back..

P. P.

@toesnorth

Locale: PNW

Still wearing my knock-off crocs, 4 oz. for $4.00.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I too just bought a pair of Viva Ultras and tried them out on my weekend overnighter. My search is over! I love these things. Lightweight (mine are size 47 [US 14]) and weigh no more than the size 7's above, which I find amazing. They're comfortable enough to walk around in all the time if I were so inclined. They feel good either sockless or with a nice wool sock on for keeping feet warm in camp. And they are made entirely of the rubbery stuff so they don't hold water after a creek ford.

I donated an impressive pile of water/camp shoe fails to the thrift store this week.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

To those of you who purchased these Vivobarefoot Ultra Pures…

I guess it is too early to tell much about fit. Does the fit run true?

I guess it is too early to say anything about durability. I mean, they are not intended to be as durable as a normal shoe.

Now all we have to do is to beat up the vendors for a lower price, or maybe get them to do free mounting and balancing.

–B.G.–

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"I guess it is too early to tell much about fit. Does the fit run true?"

They come only in European sizes. I normally wear an 8.5, but in even European sizes, that means I fall into the middle ground of 40-42.

But the Vivobarefoot website has a very cool sizing assistant. You put in the shoes you wear now (I put in my workout shoes, Asics Gel Cumulus 13, size 8.5) and it tells you what size Ultra Pure you should wear. It said size 40 for me, which I thought would be too small. But the 40s fit me perfectly!

And I bought mine at EMS on sale for $42.50.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Size 15 is a curse. 47 are the largest.

Rick M
    BPL Member

@yamaguy

del

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

I found the ultra pures run big. I usually wear an 8 (41) and it was far too big. The 7 (40) is perfect for me.

David Affleck

@utcoyote

Agree with the Ultra Pure running big. Love them, but wish I'd ordered a size smaller than suggested by the sizing guide on their website.

– Dave

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

"Size 15 is a curse. 47 are the largest."

I normally wear something between size 14 and 15, which means I almost always have to buy 15, but the 47 Vivas fit me perfectly.

Bill Reynolds
    BPL Member

@billreyn1

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains

I love my Zemgears but the soles are slippery if you are in hilly/mountains. They also are not good for winter as your feet will get wet and cold.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

I found the Zem to pinch/rub on my toes, and to be a bit slidey. I have changed to Sockwas, and found them to be much more comfortable and sturdy than the Zems, and to weigh about the same or less.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

This could not have come at a better time…I used to think Crocs were the perfect camp shoe: water flows right through them, they're cushy, light, I can wear heavy socks when it's cold out…
    But on my last few trips I was ready to throw them in the river. Unless I'm camping in a perfectly flat spot with no rocks or holes or, well, anything, I slide around in those things so much I can't stand it. And heaven forbid there is any current in a river crossing…I spend more energy trying to stay upright in those shoes than actually crossing.

One question about the vivobarefoot then…how snug of a fit is it?? Do you slide around in them? Or are they too snug for socks in the am chill??

These certainly look like I'm sending more cash to Backcountry.com……….

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"One question about the vivobarefoot then…how snug of a fit is it?? Do you slide around in them? Or are they too snug for socks in the am chill??"

It fits like a shoe, so no sliding around in them if sized properly. I wore mine walking up the middle of a fast-running stream, and had great traction in them. I could easily wear a pair of socks while wearing them if I wished, though not heavy, winter weight socks (any more than I could in my regular hiking shoes). Because they have laces, you can loosen them a bit or snug them up, depending on your wants/needs.

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

"One question about the vivobarefoot then…how snug of a fit is it?? Do you slide around in them? Or are they too snug for socks in the am chill??"

Agree with the above. They fit like a shoe, very stable footbed, no sliding. Adding a wool sock in camp works fine.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Since I just splash through stream fords in my trail runners and walk them dry, if I want camp shoes it's strictly in camp. I want them mostly for getting in and out of the tent–my trail runner soles do tear up the ground just outside the door. I also tend to get cold feet. I therefore bought a pair of Goose Feet with the added overbooties. They are perfect for what I want them for!

I do have a pair of Sprint Aquatics, size 11, 1.7 oz. I still take them for hot weather or coast camping.

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Hi Granny.

I've been looking at these on and off for a while, and I have a couple of questions about your Sprint Aquatics:

How does the size 11 relate to the size of other types of shoes (for example, do you also wear size 11 hiking shoes?)

Is that 1.7 oz per shoe or for the pair?

Thanks

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

At camp, I remove my orthotic insoles, tie my laces at maximum looseness, then slide my feet back into the now sloppy fitting trail shoes.

Not ideal, but good enough, since the additional weight is zero.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools