Topic

how many of you do solo trips?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion how many of you do solo trips?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

"I want very much to be able to hike solo…I usually go with my dog (80-pounder) and he certainly makes me feel safer. But here in the midwest most of my weekend and long-weekend trips are in places that are pretty accessible by riff-raff in pickup trucks…and unfortunately I've had enough run-ins with that riff-raff to make me just anxious enough…"

Your dog is probably some of the best protection around. An 80 lb. dog snarling at some yahoo is bound to make him think twice!

Though I usually don't recommend this, you might consider carrying a handgun. I know Chicago is very down on guns, but if I were a single woman hiking in your area, I would seriously consider it. If you want to PM me, I can put you in touch with my daughter, who is a police officer and a competitive shooter, who can give you a woman's perspective.

Finally, I teach a self defense class at my university, and most of my students there are women. I'd be happy to recommend a very effective method via PM.

Please, folks, don't turn this into a anti-gun, pro-gun thread. It's not my intention at all. I'm addressing one particular person with particular concerns. Please leave it at that.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I have never gone on a solo backpacking trip.

Like Paul, the vast majority of the time my wife comes too, as she likes backpacking as much or more than I do. When she doesn't come at least one of my kids, or rarely a friend, comes with me.

I find backpacking with my wife to be far and away the best situation. Not only do I enjoy it, but I very much enjoy the fact that my wife does as well. One thing that helps is that I am almost completely process-oriented, i.e. I just enjoy being out there and doing it. My goals are completely flexible, I'll just take whatever comes along. So if my wife wants to hang out some place longer than I do or change plans in some way it almost always makes no difference to me.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

I really want to, but despite showing them forum threads, trip reports, and books, the majority of my family- wife, parents, in-laws, etc. think it's such a bad idea and I'll die that I eventually gave up the losing fight and just found friends to go with me.

It's not all bad. My trips went from 6-7 solo-planned 2-3 nights to 3 or 4 one week-long trips with a friend or two. I still day hike solo if I leave a map with a highlighter- marked route.

Evan McCarthy
    BPL Member

@evanrussia-2

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I probably go solo 10% of the time. I've been lucky to have great trail companions but I have to admit I love my solo outings (often with my dog) every now and then. I wouldn't want to take on longer and challenging trails solo, though. It's great to have like-legged folks tackle stuff together, even if you don't necessarily hike together much and talk a lot during the day.

James Reilly
    Spectator

@zippymorocco

Locale: Montana

Before I met Ann almost all my trips were solo. For the last 8 years about half my trips are solo. I go out about 15 times a summer here in Montana, usually for 1 to 3 days. The only concern I sometimes have is with the Grizzly Bear. I don't make as much noise and will probably run into one sometime.

Also sometimes I play the is that a moose or a mouse head game while trying to get to sleep.

I do love solo hiking though. My first one was 2 months on the AT about 12 years ago.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

It has varied quite a bit really. I started out as primarily a solo hiker, but then began hiking with others as I met more people on the trail, and became more involved in the hiking community. For the last few years I hiked almost exclusively with a favourite partner, but recently have got back in touch with the solo side again. If I am going to be messing around in wild country (off trail, serious bushwhacking, map and compass stuff) I will almost always hike with another experienced hiker, but for trail hiking I am perfectly happy to walk alone. In most cases, I like the independence of solo hiking; there are no issues of pace and distance, for example.
    On the other hand, I do very much enjoy company at the campsite.

A couple of years ago we had a fatal predatory coyote attack in an area in which I hike regularly. I believe this is the only such incident ever recorded. I am sure this has affected the hiking styles of many hikers in our local community, but after much thought, and some internal discipline, I have elected to carry on as before, and hike by myself. I too can still play the moose or mouse head game at night (coyotes now also) but that's where the internal discipline comes in :)

Jeffrey Windsor

@jeffreywindsor

I was in the same boat as Daniel for 18 years of marriage (still going strong, by the way), when an Unexpected Career Event came our way. My wife looked at me one stress-filled evening and said, "Maybe you'll feel better after a couple of days by yourself on the trail."

I was delighted and flabbergasted that she'd even consider it, since every mention of solo backpacking in the past had been squelched immediately. It was a good (and beneficial) trip. She was glad I went and was able to make some tough decisions–and it broke that barrier prohibiting solo trips.

In defense of my wife's prior anti-solo stance, she was fueled by a nearly fatal solo fly-fishing experience I had a couple of months after our marriage. I think even now I would avoid any water more than knee-deep when alone. I may be a chicken, but I am comfortable with my own chicken-ness.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

Jeffrey Windsor said: I may be a chicken, but I am comfortable with my own chicken-ness.

And, that, right there, is the key to solo hiking (or anything solo out in the back country): be comfortable with your skill level and never take stupid risks. Do that, and it's more likely that you'll get killed by traffic than nature.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

You must be willing to accept your own limitations be it being chicken or just not being comfortable with your skill level. That being said, hiking with a partner or a group can be a real hoot!

This year I find myself in a rather unaccustomed situation. I have gotten to the point where I am comfortable with the idea of a solo trip.

When I first began hiking my wife was a little worried about me and concerned about my safety on the trail. Recently I have taken a younger hiker on overnight trips to introduce him to the enjoyable experience of hiking and camping on the trail. My wife has now even come to refer to me as an "experienced hiker". ;-)

Here are some suggestions to follow for solo trips.

1.) Leave at home a detailed itinerary of your route and schedule.

2.) Carry at the very least a cell phone so that concerned family can be notified of deviations from your itinerary, contact you or leave a voice mail / text of any important info you might want to be aware of.

3.) Check in from time to time to calm the nerves of loved ones.

4.) Solo on a familiar or well known trail.

FWIW I shut my cell phone off when I'm hiking and only turn it on when I want to call home or bed down for the night. After using it I shut it off again to save the battery.

This year I'm unable to do my yearly section of the AT. So I will be doing a solo trip in the very near future to feed my need for trail time. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I'm not a solo backpack guy, never have been, not sure I ever will. One aspect of backpacking that I enjoy is community, it may be the second most important reason I load up a pack and hit the mountains, second to taking in some wildernness time. Solo trips aren't a litmus for "experience" IMO, often its a preference or a necessity of scheduling and life. What is "experience"?

I'm more inclined to not take a trip entirely if I fail to get someone else to partake in the backpacking goodness. This doesn't stem from a lack of experience or from fear, its just walking and sleeping outside afterall, but rather my desire to fellowship with someone out on the trail, share the views, laugh late into the night over a fire and some whiskey, all those ingredients that season a short time away from my family.

What is difficult is getting anyone to trail run 20+ miles with you on a Sunday afternoon while training, more often than not I go solo for these efforts and gladly do so. All the usual and obvious precautions for going solo are used, tell the family, leave a note where I'm heading, what trailhead, how long I expect to be out, blah, blah, blah…..

Paul Magnanti
    BPL Member

@paulmags

Locale: Colorado Plateau

From a personal perspective, I need solo trips.

I love time spent with friends in the outdoors. In fact, the basis of some of my closest friendships were formed from shared experiences in the outdoors.

But, well, I am 'extroverted introvert'. (Huh? Wha???)

I can be friendly and sociable. Love the apres ski (fancy word for burgers and beer!) and laughing about a trip with companions.

But, there is something I NEED for in the outdoors. And I can only get it solo. Quickly in my relationship with (the soon-to-be) Mrs. Mags, I took a hardline on my vacation time. One week is mine. And it has to be solo.

Why solo? Here's something I wrote a few years back…

"I wait. Now the night flows back, the mighty
    stillness embraces and includes me; I can see the
    stars again and the world of starlight. I am twenty
    miles or more from the nearest fellow human, but
    instead of lonliness I feel loveliness. Loveliness
    and a quiet exultation. "

So said Cactus Ed (Abbey).

I really can't say it much better..but because I
    ramble on, I'm going to say something anyway. :-)

When hiking solo. I do not feel alone. I do much
    thining that otherwise would not be done. Everything
    is more intense. Somehow the views are vaster, the
    sounds sharper, the smells more sharp. The feelings
    are overwhelming. In short, I do not feel alone.
    I feel intimately connected to the universe in which I walk.

When I did the PCT, I went four days without seeing
    anyone. I stumbled upon a herd of elk on a rainy Oregon
    day. The sounds of hoofs crashing through the woods,
    the smell of the damp earth, the incredible sight of the
    large elk going through the woods. Almost four years
    later, this image is etched vividly in my memory.

When I did the Colorado Trail, I was caught in a
    snowstorm on San Luis saddle (12500' plus, well above
    treeline!). I bailed into Creede. The following day,
    was again on the divide. The mountains around me were
    white, the sky was a deep blue. The air had the
    crispness of Colorado in autumn. It was an over
    whelmingly intense scene. My eyes filled up with the
    intense emotion I felt with the beauty encompassing
    me.

Solo hiking can be difficult. You are by yourself, in
    your own thoughts. You must use your own resources. I
    don't think being alone is what makes going solo
    hard…I think confronting yourself, having all around
    you that much more intense…that is what people find
    difficult.

For me, solo hiking turns a thru-hike from an
    exntended vacation into a wilderness pilgrimage. When
    going solo, I am forced to confront on a very gut
    level what I am seeking on the pilgrirmage. The
    beauty, the emotion, my thoughts. And I would not have
    it any other way.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Eugene,

I agree with you that solo trips are not a test of or proof of experience.

What I was referring to was that I'd had enough trips with other hikers to know my limits, what works and what doesn't and feel comfortable in the wilderness.

I too am a people person. It's sometimes hard to relate a particular "happening" to a non-hiker. If you share the event with others you know that you will at least be understood by your companions.

Most of my training is solo. It is a very short list of people that I can count on to get up and meet me at dawn on the hiking trail of my favorite state park. BTW this park is 90 minutes of driving away from my home. When I go there I am usually on the trail before the office staff is in the ranger station at the entrance to the park.

Fellowship around the campfire is definitely a great part of any shared hike.

As I mentioned in my earlier post solo trips are out of the ordinary for me. And this solo trip that I am planning is because I want to get out on the trail and scheduling of vacation time has left me unable to join "Lazarus" on the AT this year.

Party On,

Newton

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

Well, this thread is making me realize how lucky I am! After hearing that a lot of men have trouble getting the okay from their wives to head out solo, I'm lucky to have a husband who is absolutely fine with my heading out solo for a few days. I guess that's a vote of confidence…. or he's just relieved that he doesn't have to come along…..

Jeffrey Windsor

@jeffreywindsor

Paul, that was lovely. I love your choice of the word "pilgrimage;" it nicely captures the recuperation of spirit that can come only through extended silent introspection. Recuperation of spirit is only one of many reasons to hit the trail, of course, but it has been major one for me of late.

I should mention that one of the struggles in solo backpacking is that I don't have anyone else to counsel with when there's a decision to be made. Should I push on and hope for a batter spot to sleep, or call it quits here? Do you think the water is probably safe, too, or am I crazy for wanting to drink this untreated? Sometimes I wish I had another perspective to tell me when I'm being crazy or stupid: it takes a little of the pressure off when someone else agrees with you. (Which I suppose is also good for the soul, sometimes.)

john hansford
    BPL Member

@johnh1

Nearly all my hiking is solo, including multi week trips. When solo you can be totally whimsical : stop when you like, where you like, for as long as you like, hike as fast or as slow as you want, and never have to contend with someone else wanting to change the plan halfway through. It's total freedom. Of course you have to like your own company.

Having said that, some of the best laughs I've had have been with close friends on the trail, and on reunion walks I've enjoyed "working the line" chatting to over 70 people on a day out.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

Mostly solo for me (always carry a PLB). I am a real introvert and enjoy time on my own. Also my day to day life can be quite stressful and I need time away from everything. I usually go out for about 4 days three nights, and in New Zealand solo really does mean solo. I wont generally see anyone from the morning of first day to some time on afternoon of the final day. I also prefer to camp rather than stay in huts and this makes me somewhat unusual in kiwi tramping circles. To be honest I would rather not go than go with a large tramping club group and stay in a hut.

On my last two trips there have been a couple of times when I think I would have made better decisions with someone along side me, but I derived a lot of satisfaction from getting through it alone.

I love being on my own, but it does limit how adventurous my trips can be. So I would consider going with one or two others in the future, but no larger group than that and it would have to be the right people.

Back in my youth I did lots of hiking on Dartmoor in teams of six and loved it. I also treasure my father and son trips and the one time a year all of us get out for a family backpacking trip.

Miner
    BPL Member

@miner

Locale: SoCAL

If I didn't go solo, I'd almost never go hiking. The first few times, it kind of bothered me going out for more than 1 night, but once I forced myself to go out for more then 3 days, I quickly got use to it. Usually my trips are 4-7 days though I have no issues with going longer. I technically hiked the PCT solo and am about to do the AT southbound solo, but on those trails, you usually will hike around other hikers most of the time with only occasional times being truely solo.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

FWIW I highly recommend viewing the 2010 movie titled "The Way". It is a film by Emilio Estevez starring Martin Sheen.

Sheen's character seems to want to go solo but soon becomes one of a group of four hikers on the Camino de Santiago. His interactions with other hikers / pilgrims and people along the way are very moving.

The story is very good and the scenery is wonderful.

This 500 mile / 800 kilometer trek is on my bucket list! ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Just watched "The Way" on Netflix. Surprisingly excellent.

john braun

@hitman

Locale: West Florida

Yes, The Way makes me want to hike the El Camino and I'm not even Catholic.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand
    Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I mostly do solo trips whether it's for a weekend, a few weeks or much longer. I enjoy the solitude and flexibility of following my own star.

That said, I am happy to have some company at times along the way on longer journeys as long as my travel style and whims are compatible with those of new friends and happy to to separate when they aren't or just when the time is right. I like the flexibility this gives me and it keeps things enjoyable and low or zero stress.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Though not on my bucket list, I'd enjoy walking the Camino for the culture, not the religion.

Walking from village to village staying in inns, eating local food and drinking wine for a month sounds pretty sweet to me.
    Yes, I know there are many other such experiences all over Europe, they sound fun too.

Edit: LoL thread drift.

Sabine Funk

@sabinefunk

Nice thread =)

I started soloing because I had noone who wanted to go hiking. So I had to choose between not hiking at all or going solo.
    After 3 years of doing so I can hardly imagine hiking with others.
    It's so nice to be in complete silence all day long and I see a lot more wild animals than groups do.
    And after all, I can stop whenever I want, pitch my tent where I want and go as fast and far as I want. That's a lot of freedom =)

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

I most generally go on about 80% of my trips solo. The dog goes most times, but usually not on holiday weekends (she does not like other dogs much). I have done up to 9 day trips solo. Most of my trips are weekend or long weekend trips.
    Solo: I set the pace, I stop when I want, hike however hard I want, camp wherever I want, whenever I want. I do like going with other people, but if I don't go solo,then I would not get to go as much; and that is not an option.

I do give more thought to risk taking when solo (but even when with a partner, caution is good, I hate to have my hiking buddy bale me out just because I did something stupid).

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools