Topic

hand stitch recommendation needed

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear hand stitch recommendation needed

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

My sewing machine died. Just bunches up in the bobbin
    I think I wore it out with heavy duty thread.

Am in the middle of my bug bivy. The bottom is done.
    I have to attach the netting.

Looks like I have to go to the needle. Any stitch recommendation?
    The only one I know is the button hole.

Thanks.

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Locale: Midwest

Way before I learned on a sewing machine my grandma showed me how to do a whip stitch and locking whip stitch. Googling it for video or diagram would probably be help full. You could always use the over and under method as well.
    ^ |
    | then V ____________fabric/ make sure you lock or knot the first stich. If you can whip stitch it, it would go aloot quicker. Or borrow someone elses sewing machine. I can send you one for the cost of package and shipping if you want. I'm am a bit of a collector and my wife would love to see one leave instead of come home.
    Joel

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Locale: Midwest

FYI I'm in indiana so it could possibly get there in just a couple of days with cheap shipping. Shoot me a pm if interested. We can work out the details

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Hi Tim

I doubt your machine has worn out. Seriously.

Step 1: strip it down, top and bottom, and clean it out, then oil it. Check for really free running with no needle or thread.
    Step 2: go over all the tension adjustments and get them right. You may need a manual. Check the web for this.

Ah – is it an older mechanical one or a modern one with plastic gears, stepper motors and electronics? The modern ones can lose a sync sensor – which sometimes can be fixed.

Cheers

Nancy Twilley

@goodcaver2

Locale: STL

I don't see why a simple baste stitch shouldn't work. When I hand-stitch gear I usually just set up a french seam and then baste two lines of stitching. Will take you a minute but it will be just as strong as if you'd done it on the machine. Just sew in a straight line!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Joel — thank you for the offer, but this was to be my last myog. I will drop into manual mode to wrap this up.

Roger — this is a plastic pos singer kid machine. There is only one tension adjustment. Nothing else. I did clean and oil it. I am using the same thread and needle size and material (silnylon) from my last project, but I cannot get it to sew anymore. It just bunches up and then freezes. Even on a good day it, it did not do a good job. Oh well. I would use it for a boat anchor, but I don't own a boat.

Nancy — I will review the baste stitch. Thank you too.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools