Topic

enLIGHTenment Rev X for smokies in October?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) enLIGHTenment Rev X for smokies in October?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jason H

@i2ambler

Im planning on thru-hiking the smokies early in October for about 7 days – partially on the AT and partially on side trails, as I dont want to spend every night in shelters.. I am planning on picking up a new quilt for winters in Fl, and fall trips.

My question is: will a 30 degree overstuff quilt be warm enough? Im also 6'1 205, would you recommend the wide version? And one more, probably dumb, question: will the wide version fit OK in a size medium zpacks stuffsack?

Thanks in advance! Many more questions to come – as I havent backpacked in a very long time, and plan on going as lightweight and as comfortable as possible, and am practically starting from scratch with gear selection.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

That quilt should be fine for most October Smokies trips, unless you hear of some crazy early storm coming. Just got my EE quilt; you will love it. I would go wide.

Jason H

@i2ambler

Im probably going to get a silk liner to bring along just in case.. I also picked up an exped synmat UL7 for just at 100 bucks new from ebay and the stoic hadron cardigan for 55 bucks. That should keep me toasty around camp and save weight over my existing fleece! With my planned gearlist Im looking at a baseweight of under 10lbs without completely breaking the bank.

Im replacing an old kelty backpack with an OHM 2.0. I have an REI 3 person tent that is way too big and heavy as well, and have not quite decided on my new tent yet. I want something with plenty of room so that i can still bring my medium sized dog sometime here in fl, but not spend an arm and a leg.. I was looking at the stratospire 1 for the doublewall-ness, but its 300 bucks after seamsealing. I also like the tarptent contrail – but I have heard of some issues with sag.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

Locale: Minnesota

Jason, I'm 5' 11", 200# and the wide is perfect for me. I have 2 EE quilts and can't speak highly enough of them. I'm a side sleeper, so the wide was a must-have since I'm a bigger guy and toss and turn.

I have a 20F X quilt with the 30% overstuff, I haven't been able to test its warmth yet as I just got it at the end of Spring, and I just received a 40F Rev with 8D/8D that came in at 13.4 oz on my scale, I'll be trying that out this weekend and can't wait.

Jason H

@i2ambler

Im pulling the trigger on the 30 degree tomorrow.. Im excited.. I emailed about shipping and the owner got back to me within 2 minutes. That was pretty impressive. Whats 8D? and what exactly came out to 14lbs? Sorry , I think I missed something. haha

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

I just fixed the weight typo. 8D is the thinnest material Tim offers, it's extremely soft and I think about 1.5 oz lighter per side over the 30D in the X quilts (but that may be against the 20D in the regular Rev quilt, not sure).

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Art,

It still looks like 13lbs 4oz to me. My down comes in 10# bags that are 5' tall so I'd love to see you stuff a 13.25# quilt in your pack! It'd be dang warm though!
    -Tim

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

How about now ?

God help me I'm just not that bright . . .

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools