Topic

Magix 10 vs Kahtoola KTS Steel crampons

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Magix 10 vs Kahtoola KTS Steel crampons

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

Any opinions on the two? KTS is lighter, Magix is cheaper and come with anti-balling plates.

This would be for entry level mountain climbs, nothing too burly, and snow traverses. Steel because this will be my first pair of crampons, so I'm concerned about trashing aluminum before I learn how to baby more fragile footwear. Shoes paired with it would be either running shoes or leather hiking boots depending on the trip.

Thanks
    -Jeff

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I'm very happy with my Magix 10s. They've had lots of use, especially lately and always with trail runners, and I have no complaints. With low shoes the upper straps does go a bit above the shoe on the ankle, but I don't find this uncomfortable.

It really comes down to whether you'll need/want the longer spikes of the Magixs. I find them useful for steeper stuff, especially when the snow is a bit mushy.

Dustin Short
    BPL Member

@upalachango

The magix are currently ~$80 at ems which is hard to beat…but it looks like these come without anti-balling plates (which are $12 from CAMP USA directly, $9 at prolitegear). There are other sites if you do a google shop that are under $100 for the magix 10 with anti-balling plates (but a different design than shown on the CAMP website).

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11755949&emssrcid=GoogleBase:PS11755949

http://www.surfmountain.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=37557&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Shopping&utm_name=UnitedStates

Alex Armitage

@alexinvancouver

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

David, I saw you have the Magix when I googled them on BPL. I appreciate your thoughts. I am inclined towards them simply because they have the more substantial spikes than the KTS. They also have more traditional, better proven straps, and I'm glad to hear they aren't uncomfortable.

I saw those prices, though not the Hillsounds, and had the same thought about ordering anti-balling plates separately. Glad I'm not the only one frugal enough to think of it.

-Jeff

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I have been using DuctTape for anti-balling plates for a couple years. I always get comments on how it works better than store-bought options.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools