Topic

Keeping Salomon XA Pro laces tight

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Keeping Salomon XA Pro laces tight

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

My wife fell in love with the Salomon XA Pro trail shoe as her light hiker, but is having problems keeping the laces tight. She tried twisting the clamp mechanism and tucking it under a lace, but when going down hill the laces will loosen significantly. Any ideas for either a tighter clamp mechanism or alternative laces?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I haven't had that problem, but then how tight is significantly? Maybe that gizmo that tightens is worn out?

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I have the Comp XA 5s and they don't seem to loosen up. Like Nick said, maybe the lace mechanism is not working correctly. Have a look at it and see. And if you bought them locally maybe you can go have them look at it or fix you up with new laces. Good luck.

Matthew Reese
    BPL Member

@bradktn

I use lightweight Montbell gaiters with mine, and I think keeping dirt out to the lacing toggle has kept mine from getting loose.

Jeff Jeff
    BPL Member

@jeffjeff

I've used the Wings, XA Pro 3D (or whatever they call it now), and the Comp. The lace lock starts to slip near the end of the season. I just live with it. I'd be mad if I paid retail for these shoes and had the laces come loose like that though.

They sell a replacement lace kit, if it bothers you.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

We took them back to REI and exchanged, hoping that we just got a loose one. If that doesn't work, we'll explore some other options. Can't wait to see someone's reaction at the REI garage sale: "It says 'Laces won't stay tight.' Right. What a dope! Can't believe someone would return these shoes for THAT silly reason!"

Vince Contreras
    BPL Member

@pillowthread

Locale: like, in my head???

I have the XA Pro mids, and I get slippage sometimes as well. I think it is a foot volume issue…I have a low-volume foot, causing the lace-cinching mechanism to lay almost flat with the laces it's supposed to be cinching; I think that for the mechanism to work best the laces should be arcing downward a bit, as they would be when wrapped around a normal-volume foot.

This theory of mine has been supported by the fact that since I've swapped out the stock insoles with a set of higher-volume ones, the slippage has decreased noticeably. If it continues to be an annoyance, however, I might just swap in a set of thinner, regular-style cordage laces, like some 1.5mm Z-line…

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

That's an interesting idea. If the new shoe continues to slip I'll explore that possibility.

I've considered replacing with some thin cord. That z-line might be a possibility as long as it isn't the slick stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools